Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
October 26th 2012
Published: October 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got up at 4.45 and were waiting in line at the bus station by 5.25 along with many others. The bus drive up to Machu Picchu takes 30 minutes winding its way up the mountain around hairpin bends with sheer drops of 100's of feet; a bit of a roller coaster of a ride. We saw the sun rise above the mountain and enjoyed the peace and quiet with few tourists. Sat and munched a packed breakfast on one of the terraces of the inca temple just watching the llama's munching and swift's flying around having their breakfast dining on the insects. We eventually had to come down and and feeling very tired we showered and went for a walk, the hotel would deliver the bags to the train station. Lunch at El Mapi an amazing buffet one of the best we have had and then a snooze in the square. We walked around the market before going to the train station to board our train to Cusco.This is like no other train we have been on. Showing passports to enter and then the table is prepared, cloths, flowers and cutlery laid out, we are served drinks and then a 'snack'. The journey follows the river and it's breathtaking a pity our American passengers can't appreciate the beauty maybe they aren't tired and just having a loud fun time wish they would all fall asleep with the wine they are drinking, what a bunch of muppets. Or is it us? they were Canadians and a friendly lot too! Just when we thought we would have a snooze in comes the entertainment. A guy dressed in very bright colours with a lion's heaof who then started dancing and getting us all to clap. He then randomly chose passengers to dance with in the isles. Steve named him the railway lion (line). Then came a fashion parade with the staff wearing clothes they want to sell to us all hilarious and so much fun. Arriving late at Cusco we dined in the Italian next to the hotel trout ceviche yummy! then slept well in Casa Plaza Andina a fabulous hotel run by young staff who can't do enough to please you. Awake this morning to the sound of guns and marches; another saints day and today we are off to the Amazon!

Advertisement



28th October 2012

Freezing here!
Pauline and Steve Just got back from Spain, so cold here! Just catching up with your blog. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time. Have great time in the rainforest. Liz & Dave xx
3rd November 2012

Cold here too
We are now in Lima and although its not cold it's very misty, not yet their summer. Feels like Spain here people are lovely and food fantastic. Dave would have liked Titikaka as you can fish for free on this massive lake 100 miles long and 30 miles wide. You can even stay on an island for £10 dinner bed breakfast and fishing with the locals breakfast may be a dried cormorant or two or soup miss you
28th October 2012

reply to world travellers
Really good to read all the news from the other side of the world - lots of sights and new experiences. Waterfalls and Inca remains look very impressive. We probably have some llamas &/or alpacas at Beale Park down the road - a touch of SA not far away! Michael Palin is on TV at the moment doing his tour of Brazil, so far he's visited cities up north and his next program will include the Amazon - have read that there are some very large snakes in that river, amongst other fauna, so don't dangle your feet over the side of the boat to cool off!
3rd November 2012

Amazon
Too late I have already lost two toes and my marbles. jack Nicklearse

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb