Relaxing in Aguas Calientes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
November 20th 2008
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Main square of Aguas CalientesMain square of Aguas CalientesMain square of Aguas Calientes

If it wasn't for the hot springs, i'm guessing the town wouldn't exist!
A hair raising bus trip to Aguas Calientes and we were at our hotel and saying goodbye to Eddison, our very entertaining tour guide of the past 4 days. Inspired by the Hiram Bingham story, I purchased his book but not before a trip to the hot springs of Aguas Calientes for a much needed muscle relaxant. The place was packed with exhausted Inca trail survivors and was nice even though the water had that funny smell to it. It was good to chat to numerous people from all around the world about the Inca trail experience, including some fellow aussies (who are normally recognisable by their accent, or if they do a bomb into the hot springs). We ended the day with a pizza in the dodgy town as there was not much else on offer really before we headed back to the hotel with cable television and a hot shower - now that’s what I missed!

As I lay in a comfortable bed for the first time in four nights I am grateful for the experience of the Inca trail, pity the poor porters who have to do it all year round and marvel at the motivation of
Prime restaurant stripPrime restaurant stripPrime restaurant strip

Street performers and retaurants know the rail system is the lifeblood of Aguas Calientes - but getting this close is surely a bit silly
men that explored and found such ruins. My legs still hurt, but tomorrow we return to Machu Picchu for some more climbing.

We woke up early and get the bus to Machu Picchu after a very strange hotel breakfast. Arriving with snacks we explore Machu Picchu again and I try to imagine what it would be like to live in one of the little store huts in the city. Our snacks are rudely taken away from us before climbing Huayna Picchu to check out the granary on the hill and the amazing views from the mountain. Unfortunately it started pouring rain and the climb was very steep, with chains part of the way. We were warned not to climb but ignored the warnings and kept going. An hour later we were at the top albeit completely soaked. The rain stopped for a few minutes to give us the great views we came for, but generally it was a pretty shit day at Machu Picchu and made us incredibly grateful for the day we got yesterday.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb