Work has been done. Sleep has been had.


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ayacucho » Ayacucho
May 30th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

so i remember telling people that working 4.5 hours a day was not much. um, its more than it would seem.

work has been great, though. i am working in a small clinic, containing an exam room for the doctor, a nurse´s examination room for children, an emergency room, a pharmacy, a laboratory, a dentist room, and an obstetric unit. everything i just listed should be understood to be in "air quotes." the clinic is so small and every room is smaller than most dorm rooms in a student´s worst nightmare. but, despite the size, there is a steady stream of patients from 745 to 1215.

the first day, i got my bearing, observing the nurses and the ONE doctor. it was slightly boring but, nevertheless, tiring. the second day, i got to work in obstetrics. here, i assisted the nurse by taking blood pressure, height, and weight. since the clinic obviously has no ultrasound machine, i got to observe and participate in feeling the baby´s position in the womb and listening to the fetal heartbeat with a funnel apparatus (sure there is a legit name for this).

today, my third day at the clinic, i worked in el topico, the room for injections, emergencies, and general gathering of information like blood pressure, height, and weight. it was really fun because my fellow volunteer and i were separated and allowed to have our own experiences. i used my spanish a lot today and got to take more blood pressures, heights, and weights.

the story from my day that i most appreciate has to do with this three-year-old girl who was having an asthma attack. she was brought into the room i was in and given fifteen minutes on the oxygen mask because there are no inhalers at the clinic. she was fine, but absolutely hated the oxygen, crying constantly while the mask was on. but her parents were incredible. her father sat with her in his lap and stroked her head constantly, speaking softly to her in quechua, the language of the incas. i have noticed that its rare in this society to see a father present with his child. most often, the mother is seen alone with the child. but this was amazing to see a mother and father that were so loving and comforting to this girl. there must be a ton of asthma in this city. it is the most poluted city i have ever visited and the air is 50% dust. these people have to deal with so much more than i feel i have ever been faced with. there is a beautiful and wide-spread reliance upon God in this culture.

well, i´m being asked to get off the computer by the owner of the internet cafe (another air quotes phrase). i hope all of you are well. i miss everyone very much. ten weeks is going to be very difficult, but great i know.

love,
john

ps. fun fact: as i sit here, i am fully convinced that every driver here honks the horn at least 100.000.000 times a day. oh wait, there goes 100.000.001.

Advertisement



30th May 2008

Johnnn! Ahh! It sounds so amazing! I'm so glad you're having such a great experience. I'm pretty jealous- despite the harsh conditions you've described. It sounds incredible! Missing you!
30th May 2008

Hi!
hi, john, just want you to know we are thinking about you. the blog is great....we've been waiting for your next entry! take care and know you are in our prayers. love, kelly
30th May 2008

family
John, I love reading every word you write. Summer has reached Alabama. We have someone in the attic working on a fan. This is an experience of a lifetime. Send me your address and I will send some money for you to "spend on junk". Daddy Stafford and I lovre you dearly. Love, Nana Rie'
31st May 2008

JHON!!! oh my gosh..im super jealous!! it sounds like you are having an amazing time!! you are i my prayers and cant wait to hear what you do next! love you and miss you!!
31st May 2008

Unique experience!
John, What can I say? Awesome experience that will change the way you see the world! Specially, when you see how people live with the basics and/or less off but they are happy and grateful, it is overwhelming. It will amaze you how much local people appreciate and value what you are doing for them! :) Wish you the best! Carmen

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb