Sweet tooth


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ayacucho » Ayacucho
March 22nd 2008
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

For any of you who know Rachel well, you know she has a pretty bad sweet tooth. I didn´t realize however, how bad it was until I traveled with her. Almost everyday she has to buy icecream, chocolate, cookies, popsicles, or some sweets to satisfy her craving. Yesterday she broke into song when she got a craving. I was confused at first as to why she was singing Eminem in such a cheery voice, bobbing her head back and forth, but when she finished I almost died laughing:
"Gues whos back, back again, Gues whos back, Guess whos back, Guess whos back, Guess whos back, My SWEET Tooth!"

So, nows its probably not as funny as I think it is, but trust me it was hilarious at the time.

I love Ayacucho! Everyone is so friendly and all the Easter festivities are incredible! A couple days ago Rachel and I were sitting in the main plaza, eating icecream 😊, when this little kid, probably 9, with great chubby cheeks and a huge smile ran up to us and said very excitedly in English, " Welcome to Ayacucho!!" It was so adorable!! And as soon as he said this, he ran off with just as much excitement to tell his mother and grandmother what he did.
The sheer number of people celebrating Holy Week festivities is incredible as well. On Holy Thursday there is a tradition in the Catholic Church where every church is open and has Eucharistic adoration in the evening. Tradition says if you visit 7 churches that night for adoration, you will recieve indulgences. Since there are 33 Catholic churches in Ayacucho, we decided it wouldn´t be to hard to visit 7 of them Thursday night. It was so amazing! It seemed like the whole city was out walking visiting the different churches for adoration! At every church entrance, there was a mob of people fighting to get into and out of the churches. The decorations in the church around the blessed sacrament were also fabulous. There were tons of white lilies, flowers and candles with great white, gold and silver banners on the altar surrounding the monstrance or blessed cup. It was quite a memorable night. We also have seen in the streets on Good Friday a reinactment of the stations of the cross, and at night a procession in honor of Christ being put in the tomb and Our Lady of Sorrows. It is intense my friends. So wonderful and different from anything Ive seen in the US.

Hope you have a Happy Easter! Love and miss you!
Becky

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb