Colca Canyon to see the Condors


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
November 23rd 2011
Published: December 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

23.11.2011 Colca Canyon

Up early, again, to try and see some condors. We went to Colca Canyon (apparently one of the deepest canyons) where we waited and waited for the condors. The condors are the second biggest flying bird (wingspan of about 3.2 meters) and up to the age of 100. As we got to the viewing point, our guide then informed us that it was nesting season so we might not see any!! Great. Pretty much a 2 day drive to not see anything! So we waited, and after an hour or so (baring in mind we only had about 2 hours until we had to go again) we eventually saw our first one. It started off at the bottom of the canyon, they followed the contours of the mountain, and slowly got higher and higher. They only jump at certain times of the day when the thermals are the right temperature so they can glide. Hundereds of pictures and films later they started getting closer and closer, there was three in total, a juvenile. and two adults. They came so close to us, apparently humans dont bother them. So they fly right over you!! They were so huge, it was actually a bit scary. But it was great watching them glide. We even saw one of them stalk a bird. They just jump of a cliff and get higher and higher without flapping their wings. We could get into this bird watching thing! Was fun.

We then made our way back to Arequipa, me and michael went out for tea and had the best meat ever. Had some chicken and beef skewers which michael would't stop going on about. How it was 'melt in your mouth meat' at least 10 times over to the same people. It was really good though.

24.11.2011

Posted some more cards home today, and it cost a fortune so, sorry no more mail for a while! We explored Arequipa a bit more today. Went to a monastery/convent today, but it was like a whole village, it was huge, like roads, gardens, halls, loads of private houses etc. An entire littel village all contained behind walls. It took two hours in total to walk around, me and michael suprisingly found it interesting, seeing how the nuns used to live back in the 1800's we think? you would be suprised, the nuns had personal servants!!! and they had property which they could sell on, there were 'richer' dormatories and poorer ones, and they were nuns!! Surely that was against their beliefs?! Took lots of pictures so mum can show her nuns.

We then went for cake (well just me as michael had cake earlier with everyone else and didnt wait for me!)... it was the most amazing cake I have ever had. It was chocolate of course, with all other types of caramel and fudge toppings, a big slice too. I ate the whole thing in lots of little bites so I could enjoy it for longer and didnt even offer michael any! was too good to share. There were so many cake shops around, every other shop sold cake! We then went for another meal, this time with everyone back to the same place as teh night before. This time we went for a meat platter... and guess what, it was again melt in your mouth meat! ha. Michael loved it! Then onto our last and final night bus!!! HOORAY! only a ten hour one this time all the way to Nazca. They showed the Secret life of Bees in
PERU 635PERU 635PERU 635

the surrounding volcanoes
Spanish with subtitles, was really good, and yes there was tears like there is in every slighly sad film. I enjoyed it, while michael spent the whole time on football manager.... s. x


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ConfessionsConfessions
Confessions

Was there for some time


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb