Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
January 30th 2009
Published: January 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Colca Canyon

: A canyon that is more than twice as deep as the Grand Canyon. It´s about a 6 hr bus ride from AREQUIPA.

In AREQUIPA, everyone tries to sell you a two day tour to the canyon but from what i´ve heard, the tours are not that great, they are expensive and it´s all done in a hurry.

The Cheaper way to visit the canyon is to take a public bus from Arequipa, from the Bus Terrestre (a quick taxi ride from the city center at 3 soles), remember, you should call to make a bus reservation 24 hours ahead bc they get full rather quickly. There are three bus companies that take you 1) Andalucia and I forgot the other two. You can easily get information on how to visit the canyon ¨do it yourself¨style by visiting the i-peru information place off Santa Catalina street in Arequipas center center (near la plaza de armas). From arequipa, the bus takes about 4 hours to get to the city called CHIVAY...there you can go to the Thermal water pools for 10 soles...from Chivay´s city center you take a quick motor bike taxi. Sleep in CHivay.
The OasisThe OasisThe Oasis

Colca Canyon´s the Oasis
The next day, you take a bus from Chivay to CABANACONDE....that bus will stop at the famous condor veiwing point called CRUZ DEL CONDOR. Here you can stop to view the condors, if you are lucky, then take the next coming bus (9am, or 11am) to Cabanaconde where you can hike down into the COLCA CANYON. The hike can take from 3 hrs to 5 hours. It´s a 3 1/2 mile hike but it´s hard, at least in my opinion. If you have trekking poles, I highly recommend you take them with you!!!! PLus, make sure you have lots of water...it´s HOT HOT HOT down there. On the hike down, you can spend the night at the oasis for about 10 soles. The next day, you can either hike up or take a mule up for about 30 soles. YOu´ll be back in CABANACONDE, you´ll take the bus back to AREQUIPA (6 hrs).

Notes:
* Chivay - the nights are really cold and it rains alot. Take warm clothes. The bus terminal is a quite a walk from the city center. It´s going towards where the Bull fights take place.

* Cruz del Condor - best views of the condors are from where the cross monument is, look to the left..that´s the favorite hang out spot for the Condors.

* Colca Canyon - there are many trekking possiblities to get down to the canyon. From Cabanaconde or from other towns before Cabanaconde. Make sure to ask in AREQUIPA at e-peru´s infomation center on all trekking possiblities. The treks can last from 6 hours to 3 hours. Take your pick! Remember to pack your sunscreen, plenty water, snacks and trekking poles (if you have them). If you opt to take a mule out of the canyon, instead of hiking, book them along your trek down into the canyon, men who own the mules trek the canyon everyday and ask if you want to book a mule for the next day.

Advertisement



30th January 2009

sounds like
Hey there - So glad to see that you posted an entry. This morning I realized I hadn't *heard* from you (via your blog updates) for a few days and honestly did worry just a bit. Colca Canyon looks amazing. Besides being a bit difficult of a hike, what impressed you the most? Dee
30th January 2009

but what about YOUR stories?? tell us what it was like when you were there!! did you meet any nice people? did you have your trekking poles with you?
30th January 2009

Yes, i was a little worried myself not hearing from you. Your sister not to long ago, on myspace just asked me if i've heard from you. Well it looks like you are still having a wonderful time, xoxoxxx.
30th January 2009

it was fantastic, and no, I had forgotten my trekking poles back in Arequipa : ( My knees were not happy!
30th January 2009

; ) Ill try to notify everyone before i leave on the next 3 day trip.
30th January 2009

Hola!!
hey i am glad to hear from you i was getting a little concerned also i really am glad to hear you in good health and spirits good luck i will keep you in my prayers.
31st January 2009

Much love and hugs to all of you! Thanks for the well wishes, concerns and positive thoughts! Miss you guys!

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb