Journey to Colca Canyon PART II


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
May 5th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Short HatShort HatShort Hat

Notice this shape hat...very cute girl and baby llama!
Ok so woke up at 5am the next morning to take our bus to Colca Canyon - another couple of hours at least...F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G morning, suprisingly slept extremely well!! My guide book claims Colca Canyon to be the deepest Canyon in the world, am sure I've heard since then there may be an even deeper Canyon in peru which is still being investigated. Colca is 1km from the cliff edge to the river bottom apparantly. This is a huge tourist attraction and quite rightly so too.. we saw loads of other tour buses... We passed through Indian villages and tons of terraces - which really made an impressive view of the mountains. I learned that each archway we saw meant we were going into a new village. We also saw two other huge volcanoes along the way - Coropuna and Ampato as well Mismi Nevado which had snow on the peaks which is part of the Chila moutain range which is mucho importante as this is the water source of the Amazon!!!!
And did you know that there are two different shaped hats which the ladies wear, each of them representing the worship of two very different shaped mountains - the tall
Nice contrast..Nice contrast..Nice contrast..

Those beetles they get everywhere!!!
high mountains (Collagues) and the shorter rounder mountians (Cabanas), before the heads of the tribes were grown in such a way to represent this. Now days its much easier to wear a hat!!!
We eventually reached the Canyons and there were soooooo many tourist buses there...I honeslty naivley thought we would be the only ones there...well, the views are indeed spectacular...everyone had found their seats and they/we were just waiting for the Condors to come. No one knew how many and only the guides roughly knew what time they usually fly - 9.30am. It was important for the temperature to be right and the wind, when we got there it was still cool and there was absolutely no wind...so we waited....and we waited.....and we waited...nothing....
Many of the tourist were getting anxious, some of them had been there for hours..some even started to leave... I overheard some guides saying it was rare that they had not started flying yet...to be honest, I reckon they were in their caves/nesting area (which was directly below where we all were) having a good old laugh, probably saying "bloody hell, i guess we better get out there and do the routine boys"!!!
Eventually...we all
TerracesTerracesTerraces

Everywhere you looked, amazing terraces used to grow their crops!!
spotted one huge condor come out and just hovered around us - all you could hear were the clicks of cameras, ooooooh's and ahhhhhhhh's - the crowd were relatively quiet - in fact we were all just in complete awe - I dont think anyone realised how close they came, then another showed up, then another, until there were eight!!! Personally, i was just overwhelmed didnt know which direction to point my camera, so i did what everyone else did just pressed the button as many times as i could.
Have to say I put the Colca Canyon and Condors in my top 10 best ever life time experiences, it was moving to see such beautiful birds up so close you could see their markings, their eyes, claws...etc... Spectacular and worth every hour and minute on a bumpy bus ride there!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

An Indian villageAn Indian village
An Indian village

....just behind me there...
CondorsCondors
Condors

An aww inspiring moment..the condors were just spectacular...wow...wow....wow...!!!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb