Mad about mountains


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
July 8th 2007
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Peru has delivered my dream experience of nature in the Andes the last few days. I´m so happy to be high altitude, back in the mountains that are surrounding me again from Arequipa.

Arequipa is a gorgeous town called the White City because its made of white volcanic stone bricks built in a Spanish style, bit Morrocan influence too, cobble stone streets, wrought iron balconies, clear mountain backdrop. Beautiful. From here our group decided to head into the nearby valley to go camping at high altitude. Unfortunately three of the guys developed quite bad altitude sickness so camping got ditched for comfort at a little hotel. It´s been perfect blue sky, high, snow covered volcanoes and delicious air.

We´ve started drinking the cocoa tea, chewing on it, which by the way tastes like lawn clippings, and I have no side effects thank god. We reached a breathless height on the way of 4900 metres above sea level and stopped for a tea to soak in the height. Such a buzz. Literally.

We spent the first afternoon hiking along part of the Inca Trail, drystone walls, cactus trees, so good to be moving. Then an energising soak in local hot springs until sunset. Finally got to see some local traditional dancing.

Tonight Ive escaped from my group and having some Kris time out. The city is so quaint and safe its perfect timing. AFter an awesome day as a group I just needed to digest it all. We had a very cold early start driving up the Colca Valley past the rural scenes that I love, people farming, carrying wood fuel, children herding lamas wearing colourful clothes, sheep and donkeys along the road. Have a renewed love of donkeys, their eyes so black you could dive into then 😊. General peacefulness of the country gets into your soul.

Sunrise turned the snow capped mountains pink as we arrived early at the Colca Canyon to wait for the giant Condor birds to leave their nests. The Canyon itself is breathtaking, second deepest in the world, deepest one is in Peru somewhere else. We sat on its edge, a 1,000 metre drop down to the tiny river below with another 1,000 metres of rock face above us. A very cold wind blowing up from below but the sun trying to warm us.

Waiting patiently for two hours, spending the time trying to soak in the beauty so I can remember it when I am next back at my desk at home, we were rewarded with a Condor show! 10 massive condors, 2 metres wide wing span gliding only metres above our heads playing with the air currents. They are so regal and we all literally ´WOWED´ out loud at their power and grace.

Rest of the day driving back to Arequipa through the valley, eating cactus fruit, I´m breathing it all in because I know I only have two more weeks before I have to come back down to earth!!!

Flying early tomorrow to another place to start Inca Trail next week. Off air all next week for the group drivvle. Looking forward to getting sweaty and dirty on the trail and finally seeing what I came for, Macchu Picchu! Just a bit excited.

Kris


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb