Condor spotting in the Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
May 2nd 2007
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

ArequipaArequipaArequipa

the main plaza overlooked by Volcano Misti
Arequipa was another last minute edition to the plan. So many people mentioned it we decided to do the 10 hour overnight bus out of Cusco.

To do this however, we first had to achieve buying a bus ticket. After being spoilt with the relatively simple process of buying tickets in Chile & Argentina (ie there are 2 or 3 bus companies, one price, seats fully recline, there is a toilet and tv, and there is some sort of formal ticket office with a queuing system) walking into Cusco bus station was like walking onto the trading floor on the NY stock exchange!!

In what seemed like a relatively small building, there were at least 40 bus companies, all shouting 'Arequipa, Arequipa, Arequipa, Arequipa' or other destinations at the top of their voices. After identifying 2 companies which we had heard of there we found there to be a massive differential in the price - one at about 6 pounds and the other at 15 pounds. The latter being a massive rip off in Peru currency we decided to go for the cheaper option.

Whilst all in all this was not a bad decision ie the bus
ArequipaArequipaArequipa

The monastery
got to the destination without falling apart, the seats reclined and there was a partially functioning toilet. However it didnt afford us a lot of sleep.

Once out of Cusco they put on the first film - Sleepless in Seattle - in Spanish, and through the central speaker system rather than via headphones. Apparently there was no subtitle option on the DVD (strangely) but as Catrin has seen the film so many times she could basically translate the spanish word for word.

When they then put on the second film, our TV screen went off so we could hear the words but not see the pictures!! Finally at 1am they switched off they 'entertainment'. No sooner had we started to snooze, we then hit the bumpiest road you have ever come across - need we say more. Thankfully when we arrived at our hostel at 6am they had our room free so we hit the sack for the next few hours.

If you couldnt guess by now, we were here to do another trek - this time to the deepest Canyon in the world. We can confirm this claim to be true, having walked the 4 hours
Colca CanyonColca CanyonColca Canyon

The start of our 2 day epic canyon trek
up hill to get out of it on the second day.

Again so many stories from just one trip. We spent 6 hours on the local bus to get to the start of the trek which included really getting to see local life, the villages, farming practices and best of all the ladies who sell their handicrafts around the Mirador de Condor, and the craziness involved for them in getting from A to B. We should never complain about a 1 hour commute in London...

We also stayed in the barn of one of the local villager's on the first night. This we didnt have a major issue with, until one of our travel companions spotted what she described as a spider as large as an Australian Huntsman in her room!!! Are we never meant to get any sleep??????

With a vast quantity of corn also drying outside our doorway, Rich had major concerns over mice and rats... thankfully we were not disturbed any animal or insect life that night. Though as we sleep so heavily it may be that we just weren't aware of them, ignorance is bliss!

Before this blog gets to long -
Colca CanyonColca CanyonColca Canyon

The view ahead as we prepare for 3 hours down and a further hour up the other side
just one note about the Condors. Our guide told us a story about how 3 years previously he had seen a Condor pick up a calf, taking it up into the air to drop it from a great height in order to kill it. The head Condor then took his pickings before the rest came in for their feed. A slightly nerve-wracking story when you have 3 of them circling over your head. Apparently we just dont have enough meat on us (We both liked that bit, though Rich wasn't 100% sure!!).

Finally enough of this over-exertion, off to Lake Titicaca to finally celebrate Catrin's birthday...





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Finally we reach the bottom
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Sunsetting in the Canyon
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Our beautiful accommodation, no 5 star here. Sleep is in danger as Catrin's terrified of spiders & Rich of the mice.
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Still happy after our basis accommodation
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

After another 3 hours trekking we are rewarded by a visit to the Oasis for a dip in the pool, lunch and some chill out time!
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

After 3.5 hours of torturous climbing from the Oasis we're happy to look back, admire the view, but mostly to be finshed!
Mirador De CondorMirador De Condor
Mirador De Condor

Day 3 we're Condor spotting, they're huge but unbelieveably graceful.
Mirador De CondorMirador De Condor
Mirador De Condor

One of the very colourful local ladies looking to sell their handicrafts to us tourists
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

The locals chilling during a village address
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

The scenery as we return to Arequipa


17th May 2007

Amazing
You have taken such beautiful pictures despite the exhaustion, very well done. I don't think I could have managed so much hiking, but I would sure would have a go at the wine tasting. Happy Birthday Cat. Like the new doo Rich. love Amanda, Rob and Rachel xx

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb