Soaring Condors


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Chivay
November 15th 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

From Arequipa we headed higher into the mountains to the town of Chivay, nestled in the hills at the base of the Colca Canyon there was one main reason for our visit – Condors!



The Colca Canyon is claimed to be the deepest gorge in the world, it is certainly amazingly beautiful, vast Andean terraces tower up over the Canyon , dotted by tiny villages that haven’t changed in a century. The canyon is also renowned for its population of Condors, the following day we would be hiking into it to view them at close range, but first as dusk falls a visit to the thermal springs that lie on the outskirts of Chivay.



Sitting in an open air pool, heated by thermal hot springs, gazing out at the mountains as the sun sinks behind has to be one of the most relaxing ways to prepare for the early morning hike to the condors.



Breakfast at 5am and its off to drive on the bumpy roads into the Cola Canyon, the 1.5 hours drive takes us through stunning scenery, Inca terraces dating back 1000 years surround us, the road winds alongside waterfalls, lakes and through man made tunnels cut into the canyon side.



Our local guide for the day – another Luis – leads us to the optimum spot for viewing Condors, they’ve been quiet of late and there’s no guarantee that they’ll put on a show for us today, we can but sit in the sun, enjoying the view, hoping that the birds will come out to play today.



We were not disappointed, for a couple of hours we sat open mouthed as these magnificent birds rise from their nests, and use the rising thermals to float in ever increasing circles, scanning for carrion far below. They come so close that you’re almost certain that they view us as dinner, or at least are aware of our presence and are putting on a show.



Swooping over our heads and in and around the canyon side these birds are a beautiful site. After a few hours the Condors disappear and we’re back on the road, heading back to our hotel in Chivay for some lunch and relaxation this afternoon before another early start tomorrow – heading to Cisco via Raqchi!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb