Three months of Paraguayan Adventure


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Asunciòn
October 26th 2010
Published: November 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

They say time flies when you're having fun... This is something that I definitely cannot deny. This blog can be given as evidence to this, as it is a week late due to me having too much fun! Its pretty amazing to me that I've already completed a quarter of my time here, and yet I have hardly done anything on my Paraguay to do list. Time to get a move on...

My first two courses finished this week 😞
It's a sad time as they were both wonderful classes. Especially my evening class which I am going to miss very much! They were such a pleasure to teach and always brightened up my day. On the day of their last exam they brought me a present - a Paraguay I love you t-shirt!! Amazing! I will miss them a lot! On the plus side, they are no longer my students, so socialising with them is not so much of an issue.

This is also an exciting time! As I start new classes this week. And very different classes they are. On the one hand, in the evenings, I have an elementary level adult class. This means, they don't speak so much English, and as my Spanish is not exactly perfect a lot of drawing and acting and miming is required! Fun fun! 😊 They are very friendly and we are very pacient with each other when tryng to explain what we mean. At times I feel like I am speaking to a brick wall, but I'm sure they feel the same about me when trying to get me to explain something in Spanish. My new Saturday class is the complete opposite! Advanced level conversation! Which is also very enjoyable and a lot less stressful than my evening class. Its great that I'm gaining experience with so many different levels.

It has been very interesting too giving the exams and marking them and writing the reports. Rewarding when the students do well and pass, although difficult to tell some that they have failed and have to repeat. Something I have to get use to and get on with!

One of these exams got me thinking about all my friends back home, as it was on the question of what is a good friend... I am starting to miss people a little more now. Although still, it is not going to get to me, I will not let it! I have some wonderful people here helping me get through any troubles I have. For example, a month in and the Paraguayan diet seems to be beginning to take its toll on my health... Last week I randomly fainted on the bus to work. I had never fainted before in my life. No apparent reason. The only thing I can think of is that the diet here of mainly salty, fried and extremely sugary things is starting to destroy me. Somehow, throughout this diet I have lost weight - very confusing!!
Anyways... Yes, after this I had so many people helping me out. A fellow teacher at the Anglo has been absolutely amazing and arranged for me to see some doctor friends of hers who were so unbelievably kind and helpful. Also, I have met someone here. A pretty special someone who I get on really well with and who can always make me feel better. But enough said about that. 😊

Now, in my last blog, I do believe I said that my Spanish wasn't improving so much. I take this back. I can now tell I am improving. I have a lovely teacher who gives me some grammar and conversation classes every week, and another lovely teacher who speaks to me everyday in Spanish, just Spanish, no English known. So... this part of my life is improving greatly...
In fact, most parts of my life are improving greatly... I mean, I'm not wanting to speak to soon, but this whole 'w' of culture shock thing seems to have totally by-passed me. Things are getting better and better all the time. I now only have six weeks left until my big, crazy trip too. EXCITING!! 😊

Saying this I do miss things from home. I miss salt and vinegar crisps, I missed Bonfire Night, I miss having a sofa and most of all I miss being able to walk around, near where I live, feeling safe. (And my family and friends of course, especially my big brother who is impossible to get in contact with!!)

Ooohhh, strange Paraguay fact here for you...
Tomorrow there is an election to decide who is the next mayor. Elections are on Sundays... this may seem strange enough. However, even stranger... bars and supermarkets and shops have to stop selling alcohol at 7 today!! 7!! I can only imagine the riot that would be created in the UK if they tried to impose this law. Crazy. And even more crazy... tomorrow, the day of the election... you can buy alcohol. Just not the day before!
Interesting...

So this is all for now. More coming soon 😊









Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb