Day Number One in Paraguay!


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Asunciòn
August 28th 2007
Published: August 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey folks,

I know I only wrote yesterday but we have free internet in the hotel that we´re staying in till tomorrow so I´m just making the most of it!!

Well today´s been the first chance we´ve got out and about in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay. It´s soooo different from Aberdeen, the whole day I´ve been trying to take it all in to tell everyone about but I know fine il forget half of it!!

I´ll start with food, just cos my dad´s convinced im gonna starve!! yesterday night we went to a local restaurant, where i was MEGA brave and actually tried something local, honest dad!! can´t remember what it was called but it was some kind of deep fried steak thing with hammy stuff and tomatoish sauce, not really a steak kinda girl so it was kinda bleurgh but at least i tried it!! oh yeah, while on the food theme, one of the first things Kathy said to us when we arrived was that Gappers usually put ON weight cos of all the bread and that, gutted!!! was hoping to go the other way, ach weel.

The city centre´s really strange, you get the odd nice looking building but in general everything´s really dirty and dusty. Walking down the street EVERYONE stares at you we´re starting to feel like celebrities!! oh my god, went on our first bus journey which i LOVED, they´re like medieval, the doors are kept open all the time with metal cages to stop you falling out, had been on the bus for a few minutes when all of a sudden a random guy stood up at the front of the bus and started shouting at us all in spanish, all we could get was ´love´´money´´heart´´clothes´ and ´christian´, apparently we were getting preached at to try and join the church, ended with us praying hand on heart, eyes closed, amen everything!! also you can buy anything you want on a bus, theres so many sellers, even kids as young as about 6. its 20p to get anywhere!!!

Went to the dodgy market today to buy phones that work here, yay! got a really sexy nokia phone for 17 pounds, woohoo! the money here is soooooo confusing, one pound is 10000 guaranis, argh!! so we´ve got notes for 1 pence hehe.

the roads are really funny, doesn´t seem to be any lines on them so if you decide there are two lanes, theres two lanes!! then all of a sudden a horse and carriage will almost run you over!! won´t even start on their driving!!!

Also, walking to the anglo today, i saw the most horrible thing. people had tied a bit of string between two trees and put what looked like a bin liner over it, like the play houses me and kirsten used to make when we were little, only worse. Except that´s where they live. Can´t stop thinking about that now, just seems so unfair.

Just met some students from britain who are teaching at the TEFL school in Asuncion, one´s from Ellon woohoo!!! never thought i would be hearing ´fit like?´for a good while haha!!

Better go now cos I´ve got a meeting with Kathy, got so much more to say from today but think my brains got frazzled with so much stuff!! Meeting the family im going to be staying with tomorrow, soooo nervous cos they dont speak any english at all, totally getting thrown in the deep end!!

Miss you all so much,

Love Lisa xXxXx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb