South American Adventure


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Asunciòn » Villarrica
March 25th 2011
Published: March 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

As Mary has so far done all the blogs I thought that I should give it go, so here geos.

I believe that Paraguay is our next adventure and what a surprise it turned out.

PARAGUAY.

Please bear with me as I explain the reasons why we went to Paraguay. Firstly it is not a well know counrty in Australia, but Australia has a connection with Paraguay that not many people know about- but now a short history about this country. Of all the countries in S.A. Paraguay is unique. On its flag it has two coats of arms-one on each side. There are two official languages spoken (Spanish and Guaranies) and it is very common to use both when they speak to each other. Since 1952 until 1989 it was ruled by a dictator, General Strossner, who was eventually overthrown by his son in law. Strossner's demise led to the restoration of democracy in Paraguay.

In 1893 as a result of the shears strike in Australia a band of pioneers left to start up a utopian society in Paraguay. This group was led by William Lane and his brother John. It was the decendants of these people that we wished to met and see what remained of these villages.

After arriving in Asuncion from Buenos Aires we were taken on a tour of the city. It has a population of about 400,000 but this increases on work days by about 200,000. The wealthier suburbs are in on the way from the airport, but where the less well of live appeared to be no different to anywhere else in S.A. The weather is very similar to that of Brisbane, hot and humid. The hotel was very well appointed and also in the middle of the city.

After arriving we had lunch in the hotel where a young lady was playing a Paraguayan Harp. Don't laugh there is such an instrument. It looks just like a conventional harp although about half its size and sounds like a honky- tonk piano- very nice. We later tried to find the markets to get some Paraguayan Lace but could not find them.

Prior to going to S.A. I was fortunate to come across a David Lane who turned out to be the grand-son of John Lane, one of the original settlers. Though t David we were given access to this relatives in Asuncion and one of these was a Mr wood who agreed to take us out to see the villages and meet the remaining decendents of these early pioneers.( As Mr wood works we had to plan our trip to Asuncion to fall on a week-end). Mary and I met the Woods along with a Mrs White on Friday night and we went to a nice Paraguayan restaurant called one bull and seven cows. After dinner Mr woods and his wife took us on a night tour of Asuncion and after this it was off to bed. The next day we were going to New Australia and Cosme, these are the names of the two settlements that were established. New Australia first, then after a disagreement on how the colony was run by William Lane, Lane took the "true believers" some 50 Kms. away to start up again at Cosme.

This is about all at present as my time on the internet is just about to expire,so until later,

All the best,
Mary and gordon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb