Kaiteur Falls


Advertisement
Guyana's flag
South America » Guyana » Kaiteur Falls
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kaiteur FallsKaiteur FallsKaiteur Falls

My friend Ed at Kaiteur
I did a five day trek to Kaiteur Falls, the world's highest single drop waterfal, in Guyana. This was with Rainforest Tours and ran with only two of us on the trip!

Day 1 was a drive in 4x4 to Mahdia, then boat trip up the Potaro River to Amatuk Island to camp the night.

Day 2 was a mix between boat trips down the river and hiking alongside the river in virgin rainforest with the help of Tony, our Amerinidan guide. We camped at Waratuk Falls in the warden's house.

Day 3 was a short boat trip followed by a long hike in rainforest to the campside at Tuket, the base of the Kaiteur Falls trail.

Day 4 was the challenging day! We took the whole morning to climb to the top of the Kaiteur Falls mountain, and experience the amazing views of Kaiteur Falls. We had all afternoon to view it from each vantage point, bathe in the Potaro River just above the falls, see the Swifts dive under the falls to nest for the night, and then slept the night at the Kaiteur Guest House.

Day 5 was a morning of exploring the
The boatThe boatThe boat

Ed and Frank, the boat driver
falls a little more, or in my case, fishing near the Amerindian village nearest to the falls, Mendies Landing. In the afternoon, we moved to the airstrip to awat our flight back to Ogle airport in Georgetown- a flight that made me feel rather ill, but the views from overhead are astonishing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb