Santa Fe & South Plaza Islands


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
December 4th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cactus and rocksCactus and rocksCactus and rocks

Typical environment on the coast of Sante Fe Island.
Geo: -0.821086, -90.0617

Last night we were entertained watching sea lions hunting fish that were attracted to the ship's lights. The fish and their hunters were incredibly agile and speedy. Hanzel said the sea lions try to panic the fish to crash into the hull and stun themselves, and we did see a flying fish do just that.

This morning was Santa Fe Island and land iguanas. Then snorkelling again, but we passed and lounged around on the top deck.

South Plaza is a little sliver of land just east of Santa Cruz Island. The apparently famous scuba diving location, Gordon Rocks, is also nearby. Interesting landscape, sea lions and iguanas of both varieties.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DinosaurDinosaur
Dinosaur

Santa Fe iguanas grow up to 7kg and live for 70 years. On Isabella Island they can grow to 12-13kg and 1500mm in length.
FeedingFeeding
Feeding

This smaller female was breakfasting on a cactus pad. Robyn says she can see where the inspiration for the Godzilla monster came from.
On South Plaza IslandOn South Plaza Island
On South Plaza Island

Gordon Rocks just visible behind the foreground land mass. The vegetation was greens and yellow/reds. Inspiration for the land iguanas colouration.
More iguanasMore iguanas
More iguanas

The adult males are the colourful ones. Like sea lions, they preside over a family of females and young.
Frigate birdsFrigate birds
Frigate birds

These have a wingspan of 2m and several of them just circled the ship all the time it was moving. They settled on the sun roof and on the radar gear. Very impressive when they are only a few metres away. Apparently the males can inflate the red crop under their bill to football size.


6th December 2015

What a great trip you two! And great photos on the blog. Look fwd to catching up when you're back home and hearing the stories. Safe travels. MFP & Rosie

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb