Local Living: Amazon Jungle


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
April 21st 2016
Published: April 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We spend our final week in South America (after an incredible 3.5 month journey) in the Amazon jungle, staying in rustic wooden huts on a local living homestay experience with Delfin and his family. We learn about traditional beliefs and customs from a Quichua family on an amazing homestay in the Ecuadorian Amazon, close to the Napo River. We take part in a series of activities - hiking through the rainforest, plunging into waterfalls, learning the uses of tropical plants, experiencing local traditions and learning about Quichua history / culture.

Upon arrival, it's raining quite heavy (we're in the rainforest!) so we partake in a blowgun demonstration and chocolate making from scratch. The next day is one of the highlights as we hike through the jungle, learning all about medicinal plants. We also embark on a canyoning excursion, hiking to various waterfalls. We visit the local Cando school and meet the 10 children who attend. Then it's off whitewater rafting for more fun along the waves! Another walk into the jungle leads to natural mud face mask treatments. But I did have an unwelcome encounter with a "bullet ant" on my 3rd night in the jungle, which bit me on the arm (super painful!).

On our 2nd last day, we visit AmaZOOnico, an animal rescue centre which tries to rehabilitate animals kept in captivity. They house various species of monkey, caiman, turtles, some big cats and lots of birds (tucans / macaques). We take a motorised canoe along the river to spot wildlife, finding plenty of monkeys. On our last night, the local Quichua family organise a cultural evening with dancing, a wedding ceremony and shamanic healing ceremony. We make two stops on our way back to Quito, the first at a hummingbird garden where lots of these beautiful birds come to feed. Finally, the Papallacta thermal springs are the perfect way to relax and end our tour.

Goodbye South America - you've been wonderful, incredibly diverse, full of amazing culture, historic sites, mind-blowing scenery, natural wonders and so much more!! We'll cherish all the new friends we've made along our route from Patagaonia to the Amazon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb