Merry Christmas from Ecuador/Feliz Navidad de Ecuador!!!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
December 22nd 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Las Playas/El MorroLas Playas/El MorroLas Playas/El Morro

The, Nick, why aren't you dancing pose!
Hay español abajo!

I promised myself that I wouldn’t need to say this again, but here it is, time for another long over due update!!! It’s a whole 4 months since my last update so what an earth have I been doing?!

After my trip to the Galapagos I flew to Guayaquil, rather than return directly to Quito. Guayaquil is the largest city in Ecuador and itss commercial heart. It doesn't really have any prime tourist attractions but I was immediately drawn the hustle and bustle and rough and ready nature of the city. Stories abound of robberies and many of the Ecuadorian friends I made there have been robbed multiple times in their lives but I had no problems and never felt unsafe. In recent years the city has started to regenerate itself and itss spectacular centre piece is the “Malecon”, a boarded, riverside promenade of playgrounds, shops and restaurants and a very pleasant (and safe) place to take a stroll.

I arrived in Guayaquil on Wednesday 12th of August, and after checking the Couch Surfing website I noticed that there was an event planned for that weekend - a trip to Las Playas and El Morro for the fiestas that were taking place. I met up with about 6 Couch Surfers in the bus station in Guayaquil on the Friday night and by Saturday there were about 15 of us, all Ecuadorians apart from myself and a German girl. I had great fun and it was a good opportunity to practice my Spanish for the weekend.

For the next three weeks I travelled with Kahyda, the Couch Surfing Ambassador for Ecuador, because she was between jobs and we had got on well over the weekend. First of all we travelled up the coast, with another Couch Surfer too, spending a night in Montanita, a small touristy ‘surf’ town before heading up to Puerto Lopez. Between the months of June and September humpback whales can be seen off the coast, after making their annual 5 week migration from the Antarctic. We took a boat tour for the morning and very lucky to come across a mother, father and baby whale relatively quickly. Perhaps less luckily for them because the boat was never further away than 50 metres from them, when the regulations stipulate that boats should be at least 100m away, and at one point we were close enough for me to get a little wet from water coming out of the blow whole of one of the whales.

From Puerto Lopez we went Guayaquil for the weekend and then to Machala on Monday 24th of August, where Kahyda’s family live and where she had recently moved back to after living in Guayaquil for 6 years. At the time there were 15 people living in the house (including two apartments attached to the house), - her mum, dad, brother, two sisters, her aunt and their families too. It was really interesting to see the extended family living together, sharing everything and helping each other out each and every day.

From Machala we went to Banos, a small town surrounded by stunning green mountains with a multitude of waterfalls in the vicinity and the hot springs which gives the town its name.

From Banos we went to Quito on Monday 31st of August and after a couple of days Kahyda left to return to Machala to start her new job and the following Monday, 5th September I started my job. Job, you might be thinking, he’s away travelling! Working was something that I wanted to do to be able to gain some work experience whilst practicing my Spanish. Before leaving Quito to go to the Galapagos I had met an agency that places foreigners in volunteer work and when I returned I had a meeting with the owner of a marketing agency and I started work the following week. I was there for 6 weeks doing basic stuff like searching for information on the internet to help with a project and also preparing a project plan using Microsoft Project, which I had used about a year and a half earlier and had to learn to use it in Spanish. I also went out for a day to help with a pilot questionnaire for a government agency. The questionnaire was to find out information from people who receive the ’bono de salud’ (a monthly payment of $30) and is one of the few social security benefits that a person can receive. Going out and meeting people was very interesting and eye opening. The first person we interviewed had no other income apart from the $30 a month to support herself and her two children and became emotional when she was asked how much she spent on various product types like “dairy products”, “vegetables” and gave a response of $0 for many of these.

After working for 6 weeks I decided that it wasn’t really satisfying my desire to speak more Spanish because the office was very quiet and I decided to stay with Kahyda and her family and I moved here on 25th of October and have been here ever since. I have had an amazing, personal experience over the past two months, being treated as a member of the family who have shared everything with me as they would do with other members of the family. I feel like I have gained 5 nieces whilst I have been here and I also became ‘God Parent’ to Nicole (Kahyda´s cousin) for her first communion.

For the first month or so I had a dance lesson everyday in the house but my teacher also teaches Spanish (to school children, helping them with grammar and pronunciation) and I switched to taking these classes to try to improve my accent. I think that my accent has improved since I have been here because I am having more success in being understood and understanding other people, as the accent here in Machala isn’t particularly clear and can be difficult to understand. I have also been “teaching” English for an hour each day to a dentist who lives around the corner. It’s been more of conversation practice because it is really difficult to actually teach English without experience, having a conversation with somebody and correcting their mistakes is much easier! I am certainly appreciating what a strange language English is! Apart from my classes I have generally been chilling out, it is amazing where the time goes when one doesn’t really have much to do!

In November I went back to Quito for a few days and also visited Laguna Quilotoa where I spent a night and walked around the crater of the volcano, suffering more than a little from the altitude (about 4,000m) and the sun (there was virtually no shade for the whole 6 hours). I was also bitten by a dog about 10 minutes into the walk and had a rabies shot when I got back to Quito and after not being able to find anywhere in Machala to get a second dose a few days later I was relieved to find out that there’s not been a case of rabies in either a human or animal in Ecuador for 3 years!

If you’ve got this far (well done!) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I will be spending Christmas here in Machala and will return to the UK on 28th of December. I have a temporary job for 2 months in London in January and February and will be looking for something else either on a permanent or temporary basis for afterwards.

___________________________
Me prometí que no necesaria decir eso otra vez, pero…otra vez estoy muy tarde con mi última historia! Hace 4 meses que escribí por la ultima vez, entonces ¿qué yo hacía durante este tiempo?!

Después de mi viaje a Los Galápagos, el 12 de agosto volé a Guayaquil en vez de regresar directamente a Quito. Guayaquil es la cuidad más grande en Ecuador, sin mucho para hacer para la turista pero me gusto la cuidad porque era muy lleno de personas y una cuidad concurrido. Mis amigos de la cuidad tienen muchas historias cuando se robaron por ladrones (muchas veces cada una) pero nunca me sentía inseguro. Recientemente la cuidad ha empezado a regenerarse y su parte espectacular es “El Malecón” del lado del río y con eso de 2 kilómetros de distancia de restaurantes, tiendas, parques y generalmente un buen espacio para caminar.

Me quede dos noches en Guayaquil y cuando estuve allí vi un “post” en la página de Couch Surfing sobre una viaje a la costa esta fin de semana para ir a una fiesta en un pueblo. Me encontré con 6 otras personas de Couch en la estación de buses el domingo en la noche y por el sábado fuimos como 12 personas en total, solamente dos fueron extranjeros - una chica de Alemania y yo - y entonces practicaba mi español mucho durante los dos días.

Después viaje por 3 semanas con Kahyda, la embajadora de Couch Surfing en Ecuador (y la organizadora del viaje a la costa), porque ella esperaba comenzar su nuevo trabajo. Primero viajamos con otro chico de Couch Surfing a Montanita, un pequeño pueblo con una playa grande y después fuimos juntos a Puerto López. Entre los meses de junio y septiembre y posible mirar ballenas muy cerca de la costa, que en estos meses están en este lugar después de viajar de Antártica por las aguas más calientes alrededor Ecuador. Tomamos un tour por barco para mirar las ballenas y con suerte encontramos una manada muy rápido - los dos padres y un joven. Digo “con suerte” pero posiblemente no para las ballenas por que las reglas dicen que barcos deberían estar no más cerca de 100 metros pero siempre estábamos y una vez estuve mojado por agua del orificio nasal.

De Puerto López fuimos a Guayaquil el viernes 21 de agosto para el fin de semana y después a Machala, donde la familia vive y recientemente Kahyda se ha mudado después de vivir en Guayaquil por 6 anos. En este tiempo 15 personas vivían en la casa, y los dos departamentos a lado de la casa - su padre, madre, hermano con su esposa y dos niñas, su hermana con su esposo y dos niñas, su otra hermana y su tía con su esposa e hija. Tres chicos y diez chicas! Era muy interesante ver todos viviendo juntos y ayudándose a todos los miembros de la familia.

Después de quedarnos en Machala hasta el 28 de agosto fuimos a Los Baños, un pueblo pequeño rodeado por montanas verdes sensacionales, con muchas cascadas cercanas y por supuesto con su nombre hay baños naturales con agua caliente.

Llegamos a Quito de Los Baños el 31 de agosto y Kahyda se fue el jueves para regresar a Machala. El 5 de septiembre comencé a trabajar para una firma de Marketing. Querría trabajar para la experiencia y también para practicar mi español. Trabaje por 6 semanas y hacía diferente cosas como buscar información en el internet para ayudar con un a propuesta de trabajo para un cliente y un día salí para ayudar con una prueba piloto de cuestionarios. Esta fue muy interesante porque el cliente fue un departamento del gobierno y la meta de los cuestionarios era saber más de la gente que recibe el “bono de salud”, un pago de $30 cada mes a personas muy pobres. La primera entrevistado se hizo emotiva cuando ella estuvo preguntado sobre sus gastos en diferentes tipos de comida, como leche y vegetales, y su repuesta por muchos de los tipos era $0. Después de 6 semanas salí de la compañía por que no hablaba mucho español y en realidad no hacía mucho para mantener mi interés en estar allí. En cambio decidí irme a Machala para pasar más tiempo con Kahyda y su familia y tener una experiencia personal, sino que una experiencia profesional trabajando.

Llegue a Machala el 25 de Octubre y desde entonces, aparte de una semana en Quito, me quede aquí. He tenido una experiencia increíble. Llegué a ser estar un miembro de la familia y me siento tener 5 sobrinas. También hace dos semanas soy padrino de Nicole (la mayor de las niñas) para su primera comunión. Generalmente he relajado mucho durante mi tiempo aquí e intentaba mejorar mi español. Por la primera mes tenia clases de salsa cada día y después cambie tener clases de vocalización de la misma profesora. Mis habilidades de bailar y vocalización son mejores ahora pero no perfectas! También enseño ingles a una dentista cada día que vive cerca. Digo que “enseño” pero en realidad solamente es una clase de conversación porque no tengo experiencia para ensenar la gramática. Ahora comprendo que ingles es una lengua muy extraña!

Regrese a Quito el 10 de noviembre y me quedé con mi amigo Rich, un británico que trabaja en Quito, por algunos días, y el sábado, 14 de noviembre Laguna Quilotoa, un lago en el cráter de un volcán en las montanas a eso de 3 horas al sur de Quito. Me quedé allí por dos noches y un día camine por el borde del cráter del volcán y con la altitud y el sol (no había mucha sombra) sufrí mucho! También un perro me mordió y cuando regrese a Quito el próximo día fui al doctor y tiene una vacuna contra la rabia. Regresé a Machala el 17 de diciembre y no pude encontrar la medicina para tener la segunda vacuna que necesitaba pero estaba más feliz cuando leí (después de buscar) que hace tres anos que había un caso de la rabia en Ecuador!

Si has leyendo hasta aquí felicitaciones! Feliz Navidad y Año Nuevo! Voy a pasar navidad aquí en Machala y regresar a Inglaterra el 28 de diciembre para comenzar a trabajar el 4 de enero, temporalmente por 2 meses y necesito buscar otro trabajo para después. Pero, quien sabe que a pasar!


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



28th December 2009

Te extrañamos
Nick.. gracias por tu tiempo con nosotros aqui en Machala, toda la familia te extraña :-(, besos.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb