And on to Ecuador...


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
March 1st 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hola Todos,

The beautiful thing about Quito, Ecuador, is that you can take a bus to the equator. I must say, it´s really not that exciting, but the mere idea that you are standing on the Ecuador is worth the trip - and of course, was the first thing we did. We managed to see a bit of the old city, but were rather direct in going straight to Banos - a small town slightly south that promised hiking, mountains, thermal baths, cycling, horse-back riding, motorcycle renting, and more tourist adventure outing that one can imagine. And, luck was on our side, as we arrived and started visiting local Spanish schools to get a feel for what we wanted and happened on one that had apartments for rent too. Interestingly, it was a little more than we had anticipated spending, so I was not even going to look at the place, but our new teacher insisted, and I have to say, I am sooo glad! After the first glance, I was sold. It was amazing, two bedroom with a view, enormous kitchen, living room (with three couches and a TV!!!) and a deck, not to mention separate bathroom and shower and a roof terrace!

Needless to say, we did end up extending our stay in Banos, and I lazily enjoyed every minute of it. Mind you, I did manage to make time to go out and do a few good hikes, and rent bikes to cycle down to the local waterfall for a quick, rather frigid dip. Oh, and we managed to have guests over, experimenting with our blender and the local liquor. Of course, after a few weeks we were feeling time crunch and decided that we had to make our way to the next destination - Montanita!

I have to say I have mixed feeling about Montanita for a number of reasons. Firstly, our cameras were stolen on the night bus over (yep - so the last photos are that of Banos and Montanita with the awe inspiring sunsets, incredible surf and lovely thatched roof huts will be in our mind´s eye only... c¨est la vie!) Oh, and I had cash, my phone/spare camera and sunglasses hijacked as well... so we were not in the best of moods upon arrival. Secondly, there was so much rain just before we arrived that the streets were basically ankle thick mud, and no way around it! Not to mention, being sort on cash, we had to opt for camping (painfully basic - i.e. sometimes no water) instead of the lush cabanas we had been eyeing. However, it is a LOVEY town, with incredible beaches. Unending, soft-sanded beaches with crashing waves, the best in Ecuador, for surfing, and the best fresh juice and smoothies stands on every corner (for $1)... oh, and did I mention - great seafood!!! At the same time, one thing we learned the first day is that between 11-4pm, it is literally impossible to be outside (sweltering, BURNING, and unrelenting sun!) So, that leaves us with four hour a day to kill - and all of the coffee shops close for lunch?!?!? So, what can I say - amazing beach, sunsets, and food - but you have to be willing to hide for 5 hours a day, and I must say, after 4 days - it does get a bit boring, especially when you are camping and can´t really retreat to the hostel for a break!

All in all though, I did rather fall for this little town and I definitely had fun taking a surfboard out a few times and hitting the beaches in the morning to beat the heat and every night for the sunset! Another lovely little place for the books - albeit short a camera to share!

More to come soon as we are setting up for the ugly border crossing into Peru in the next day or two... and then some incredible hiking up north!!!

Wish us luck ;-)

Trish xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

and we found and egg!!!  and we found and egg!!!
and we found and egg!!!

hahaha - don´t ask... it hangs out in the apartement lobby!


7th March 2009

Amazing Blog
Wow! For last half an hour i was just reading....reading and reading your amazing travel blog. South America has always fascinated me and would love to visit someday. You are really having an amazing experience in south america and me too experiencing the beauty of the continent through your writing. By the way i am from India in Asia.South America seems almost like a different exotic planet actually. Stay Safe. Happy Travelling

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb