Banos to Mancora, Peru


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
July 29th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

You might have seen this a couple of weeks ago but due to internet problems we have had to republish...

We enjoyed the rest of our time in Banos, walking the valley of the waterfalls and spending more time in the baths. We then headed for Riobamba, this was a nice place in its own right and provided the best meal in Ecuador, but the main purpose of it was to catch the only train in the country - the devil´s nose train. This used to be a steam train that you sat on the top on, until two tourists died on it earlier this year, so now it is more like a bus on rails and you have to sit inside. Although the atmosphere may not be what it used to be the views remain magnificent including of Volcan Chimborazo, once thought to be the highest mountain in the world. The views of Andean rural life were also fantastic, getting you much closer than on a smelly bus.

The train took us half the way to Cuenca and we caught the bus the rest of the way. Cuenca is Ecuador´s most beautiful city and we spent a day wandering around it before heading into the national park 35 km´s away for a day trip. The park was amazing but
Volcan Chimborazo
Nearer the sun than any other point on earth...the food treated us badly and the first bug of the trip kept us an extra day in Cuenca - no real hardship in a great hostal with a relaxing garden.

Once recovered we had to face our first border crossing. We had been warned about the border and it turned out to be as stressful as everyone said particularly when the taxi driver raised his price from $3 to $50 dollars but we made it in the end and are now on a great beach in the north of Peru (Mancora) during their independence day celebrations...for a well deserved break!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Volcan ChimborazoVolcan Chimborazo
Volcan Chimborazo

Nearer the sun than any other point on earth...
The Devil´s noseThe Devil´s nose
The Devil´s nose

with the train (or bus) in the foreground


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb