Canoa without the sun


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Canoa
June 30th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Let's see, two saints, Saint Peter and Saint Paul. One represented by a black team, all dressed in black, one by a white team. Two nights of fiesta, with marching bands, church services, a mock sword fight on horse back, and a predetermined winner - has to be black for good luck fishing and farming this year. Lots of dancing, drinking and music. All in the off season when there are very few tourists. Sounds like fun to me.
Still haven't seen the sun here, but the 27 c weather makes up for that. The kids are still still working on their surfing, and suffer jellyfish stings most days too, as well as bruises from the surfboard.
We have beenhelping at the local bilingual primary school. We even got a chance to teach a few classes. Cute kids, but they can be quite a handful to keep in line.
We are moving on to another project in Ibarra, a town in the Andes north of Quito. It's a center with 5 homes for streetkids, and each home has "parents" to try to simulate a family feel. They say we're welcome to help out, so we're heading there Monday morning, and will be there till it's nearly time to come home. another experience again.
Here in Canoa we've lived a quiet life, swimming, running, beachcombing, trying seafood, watching the fishermen. It's a bit slow for Dave and I, but the kids claim they could do it for longer.
We are all looking forward to seeing friends and family soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb