Canoa is a Carnival!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Canoa
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It’s CARNIVAL!! In my head carnival was going to be a huge thing with dances and parades and enough craziness for all. Well, this notion mostly came from the pictures I’ve seen of Carnival in Rió de Janeiro and as I discovered, this is the place where Carnival DOES go wild. Since we had neither the money nor the time to go to Rió, we opted instead to follow seemingly all other Ecuadorians and go to the BEACH!!

About 8 hours on the bus and 45 minutes in the back of a truck got us to Canoa, a beautiful little community on the Pacific. As it was Carnival and everyone and his dog seemed to be on the coast, there were no hostels to be had. Luckily, we planned ahead and brought some tents with us, which we pitched right on the beach with full view of the ocean. Great view, but not so nice when EVERYTHING is sandy and people start to arrive at the beach at around 7:30 in the morning (not to mention the oven the tents created when the sun came up).

We spent our days just relaxing on the beach, swimming in the
Getting our Carnival onGetting our Carnival onGetting our Carnival on

In the truck on the way to Canoa: a VERY welcome break from the hot and neverending bus ride!
ocean, which was really warm, chilling at Bambu, our adoptive bar which allowed us to use their bathrooms and showers, and avoiding the mid-day sun, which burned me in about 10 minutes. The weather cooperated until the last night when it poured all night. Pierre and I had been boy scouts and therefore, always being prepared, had bought tarps for our tents, which were not waterproof. Darren unfortunately had not, and he and Emily slept in a river.

There’s really not too much more of note…it was a fantastic holiday, and a great time to get to know some of the other teachers, and experience an Ecuadorian beach for the first time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Beach BuddiesBeach Buddies
Beach Buddies

Jehanne, Pierre, Emily, Me, Darren
Emily Makes a CallEmily Makes a Call
Emily Makes a Call

From our campsite. Notice how CLOSE it was to all the people on the beach. We were unaware when we originally pitched our tents!!
Looking at our 'site' from the other wayLooking at our 'site' from the other way
Looking at our 'site' from the other way

Luckily we weren't trampled by horses.
Getting some Much needed restGetting some Much needed rest
Getting some Much needed rest

It was very hot and so sleeping was hard to come by at times!! This is right before we got up, around 7 am.
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

Darren, Pierre, and I decided to climb to a cave that we'd heard about over sharp jagged rocks
Our new jobsOur new jobs
Our new jobs

So we hung out at Bambu so much that we became honourary bar tenders including staff shirts and bar privilages! hehe
Waiting for the Bus....Waiting for the Bus....
Waiting for the Bus....

It was hard to leave and EVERYONE was trying to get out.. holiday traffic...ugh


18th April 2007

it is
terribly funny! i didn't know you are such a humorous writer~~ it also reminds me my beach party experience on Lammar Island last semester... minimal, alcohol, no tents, sandy eyes and mouth, no beautiful sunrise, rainy morning, drunk white boy, no boat back... haha!
21st April 2007

so lucky!
Hey Ian, I'm so jealous! I've never been to Carnival anywhere before, so even if Ecuador isn't Brazil, you've still got one up on me! :)
31st May 2007

Hi Ian
I've never sent a comment before - but thought I would try this technology just to say Hi to you and let you know that we are enjoying your travels. All the best, Maria

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb