One More Week


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Vilcabamba
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

We´ve decided to stay one more week at the farm and then head to Piura Peru. We thought about leaving this weekend so that we could travel with David, another American on the farm, but once we actually considered leaving we realized how much we liked the farm and wanted to spend some more time here. Two American couples from Ashville, North Carolina arrrived and have been a lot of fun to hang out with. They have also already been to Peru and have helped us plan our time there. One of the guys, Jason, is pretty crazy... he spent 30 minutes the other day in the chicken coop pretending to be a chicken. He also plays the guitar and didgeridoo (sp?) at the same time.

The cow finally gave birth so we have started milking her daily and have been making some really great fresh hot chocolate with the milk. Anna is a lot better at the milking the cow than all of the other volunteers, but the ecuadorians are still far better than any of us. Hopefully this weekend we will get the yogurt cultures so that we can start making some of our own yogurt. The puppies have gotten a lot bigger and now run around and bark and pee a lot. Killo also keeps opening up their pen to let them explore, but then they fall of the ledge and bark until someone comes to help them back up.

Recently Killo has been teaching us a lot more about medicinal herbs and the planting and harvesting on the farm. Sam strained his back last week and Killo taught him how to make a special tea with a few different herbs to help. It worked very well! Now that we are the volunteers who have been on the farm the longest he asks us to help with a lot more tasks and hangs out with us a lot more. Its going to be sad to say goodbye to him.

The canal work is just about finished. We have made the whole canal portion and now just need to finish the holding tanks at either end, the tops and the run off tubes. Hopefully we´ll be able to see it in operation by the end of next week. The work has been fairly strenuous in order to get it done on time. Yesterday, in one hour, we moved 500 pounds of wet cement up a very steep hill in buckets.

That´s it for now, but we´ll write more later once we´re off the farm. Hope all is well in the States. GO OBAMA!

much love,

Sam and Anna

p.s. we started to try and upload photos, but its taking a while so we will do more of that later, but there are a few.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb