Time for some rest and relaxation in the valley of longevity


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Vilcabamba
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I didn't manage to make it to school due to a temperature of 40 degrees C on Friday for Dia de la Madre so unfortunatley I missed Lou's ballet performance. Apparently all went well and Lou returned to drag me to the bus terminal to meet the others. Horrible journey to Loja whilst throwing up out of the bus window (you know you want to hear this!) Arrived and had to get another bus to Vilcabamba - a tourist relaxation place apparently which hardly any Ecuadorians go to. Never mind, all we want this weekend is a little R&R after our wek's hard work. Yes, we do work hard for those of you who are always doubting me!

Arrived in Vilcabamba where we checked into´Hostal Rendez-Vous´ - looked absolutely gorgeous from what I could see but I was bundled straight into bed so I woudn't know. Woke up feeling quite a lot better and went to have breakfast (with real toast!) but decided to stay behind while the others went for a hike. Managed to get out of bed and into a hammock outside (it's a hard life!) The inhabitants of Vilcabamba supposedly live upwards of 100 years - some claim to be 120! - hence the name 'valley of longevity'. No-one has been able to prove this theory and it's far more likely that these centarians are simply a mistake by the census-takers missing a generation! Even so, Vilcabamba is a wonderful place to simply kick back and do nothing.

Feeling much better by the time the others came back so us girls indulged ourselves and went to get massages, manicures and pedicures. I got a particular vampy set in red with white and gold disigns on. Totally tacky and OTT but I love them! The boys were not impressed by how long we took!

Went out for dinner and then back to the hostel where we played cards and hung out for a while before some decided they wanted to go to bed so me, Lou and Sophie got kicked out onto the grass to talk where we ended up staying until two in the morning Good thing we don't have work tomorrow.

Had a reasonably early trip back to Cuenca so we wouldn't be absolutley exhausted for work on Monday. Family were out when we arrived home so we had to stand in the cold and call them - can tell we're back to normal!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th May 2007

Just love the nails
I just love the nails. Why can't mine ever look like that? Too much digging in the sand with the children at school and clearing up paint. Still it would be some talking point if I turned up with those red flowers.
29th May 2007

Hard work...
Yep, you definately seem to be working hard... well, working hard at staying in those hammocks anyway!!! Seriously, I know you need the rest and it sounds as if you had a lovely relaxing weekend. Fab nails by the way!!

Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 35; qc: 148; dbt: 0.3942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb