Day 7


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
December 29th 2012
Published: December 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Had beakfast in our hotel room, of pan and fruit we got yesterday. Walked over to the flower mart and got some more beautiful flowers again for $2.00.

At noon Mike and Patty picked us up and took us out of El Centro, out to the country for lunch at "El Agave" for some authentic Mexican Food. Food and company were great. Went back to Mike and Patty's apartment, which is in a beautiful complex, great area and a beautiful apartment. Found out a lot more about rent, utilities, maid service, etc. Really enjoyed ourselves.



Cuenca's colorful, crazy, and noisy New Year's Eve celebrations usher out the año viejo and usher in the año nuevo, with hopes for a prosperous 2013. The highlight of the celebrations is the burning of life-size dummies, which have been sold around the city since Christmas. Each dummy is outfitted with a handmade mask and represents personages ranging from politicians and celebrities to family members.



The dummies are set on fire at midnight New Year's Eve and it is considered good luck to jump over the burning corpse three times. Be careful, however, since many of the dummies are stuffed with fireworks.

We found a dummy that looked just like our neighbor at the hotel. His name is Roger also, he loved his dummy.

Should be a very interesting New Years Eve here in Cuenca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb