Weekend in Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Good day at school and I got to see the video of the kid's performance for Dia de la Madre that I missed last week. Lou's ballet actually looked very good despite her worrying. Met all the others after school randomly at the side of a road where Charo was going to pick us up. The boys went with her while the rest of us piled into her brother's truck for a very windy ride through Cuenca and then an equally bumpy ride up dirt tracks in the hills to Charo's hacienda. Not quite sure why she calls it a farm when the only sign of farming are a few cows behind her house who actually belong to someone else.

Chilled out in the most gigantic double hammock ever before most of us (me not included - far too wet) headed off to walk to the top of the hill for the view (which was pretty much obscured by cloud when they got there). Officially my new favourite place though due to the presence of Whittard's tea made without the huge quantities of hot milk which all Ecuadorians seem to believe is how you drink it and look like
Truck fun!Truck fun!Truck fun!

A very windy truck ride up to the hacienda
you're a little crazy when you ask for milk separately. Charo's daughter Emily and a friend were there as well so we all collapsed in front of a DVD. Charo's husband (who's English and a complete Anglophile) has Union Jacks on the wall and complete collections of Hello! magazine from the late '90s full of the royal family. Absolutley crazy!

Had dinner with real roast chicken and (even better) GRAVY! No I am definitly not missing English food I promise! Also had amazing apple crumble and custard.

Ended up staying up late in the garden talking with gorgeous views over Cuenca before crashing in the sitting room. Had another friendly truck owner give us a lift back into Cuenca the next morning in time to get ready for Sophie's house party that evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st June 2007

Feet
Rather you than me sharing with Lou's little piggies!
1st June 2007

A question of feet...
I do hope you both had beautifully clean perfumed feet since you appear to be using each others as pillows!!!!
1st June 2007

What no ice cream with the apple pie?
Sounds a very English weekend. Love the hammock! Glad to see you all look well. Not sure about tea with hot milk! I'll just have to send you some out!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb