Life in the Highlands


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Tabacundo
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello folks!

Since my last update I have been settling in well to life on the farm and in the mountains in general. On the farm I have been helping to set up a new irrigation system (finally putting all that Plumb Center knowledge to some practical use) which has been very interesting and the English teaching at the high school has been going well, although I'm convinced they keep sneaking more students into my classes - my 10th grade class had 51 pupils at last count!

I've also managed to take in some of the local countryside. A week past on Saturday I spent the day at the famous indigenous market at Otavalo...the sights and smells were incredible though most striking were the colours of the hand woven, scarves, hats, ponchos and jackets. After some bartering I managed to net myself a mulit-coloured knitted jacket...this item might even be able to compete with Robin´s eccentricity!

The following day I spent hiking around the volcanic lakes at Lagunas de Mojanda close to Otavalo. The scenery was breathtaking (as was the altitude!) and after 5 hours of hiking we managed to hitch a lift back with a local farmer to the nearerst village. The ride was in the back of a pick-up truck - Ecuador's preffered mode of taxi. There is something quite surreal about travelling along the the Pan-American highway in the back of a pick-up with nothing but the stars above you...and being on the Equator, there are so many more stars visible here...it's quite a spectacle!

Last Saturday I attended a meeting of the local council in the village of Picalqui. Myself and a colleague were to introduce ourselves and speak about the computing classes we are about to begin with the locals. What an eye-opener! Talk about small time politicians...these guys could have kept Michael Portillo quiet! After sitting through 90 minutes of intense debate, primarily focused on the purchase of a volleyball net for the local park, we finally got the chance to say our piece. To be honest, the most entertaining part of the meeting were the two dogs rolling around and fighting in the middle of the the meeting hall...so that was council politics in Ecuador!

Thankfully the walk home proved far more exciting. We were passing a modest village house where we could hear loud music and dancing. A young chap who was already slighlty the worse for wear (bearing in mind this was only 10pm) ushered us into the house. The three rooms; bedroom, kitchen and living area, were crammed full of the entire village population (apart from those who hadn't already fled the meeting in a state of chronic boredom!). We were sat down and given food and partygoers were constantly coming round and topping up our glasses with beer. We were then ushered on to the dance floor to try out the local dances! As the night wore on, the grannies were coming around topping up our glasses with the local "jungle juice" which was just a tad more potent than the beer...and they would not take no for an answer!
It was great to experience a typical Ecuadorian fiesta and their kindness was humbling. A fantastic night was had.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Playing cards with the localsPlaying cards with the locals
Playing cards with the locals

Nercy & Dayana - my neighbours on the farm.
OtavaloOtavalo
Otavalo

Saturday market in the highland town of Otavalo
OtavaloOtavalo
Otavalo

Main square in Otavalo
Full Highland DressFull Highland Dress
Full Highland Dress

Typical dress of the otavaleña...rather different to the Scottish equivalent!
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

Laguna de Mojanda, we arrived at the lake at 9.30am, there was no-one in sight and the silence was incredible.
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

1st Laguna with the Andes (and the clouds!) in the background.
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

4000m above seal level and grabbing a well earned rest!
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

The taxi home...Ecuadorian style!
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

The descent was slightly less taxing
Lagunas de MojandaLagunas de Mojanda
Lagunas de Mojanda

Sunday afternoon in the village of Malchingui at the bottom of the mountain. These guys were enjoying a a well earned rest day away from the farm...2pm and each one was legless!
Hacienda PicalquiHacienda Picalqui
Hacienda Picalqui

More of my neighbours!
Hacienda PicalquiHacienda Picalqui
Hacienda Picalqui

Mother & Son
Hacienda PicalquiHacienda Picalqui
Hacienda Picalqui

My farm is at the bottom of the field with the Andes towering in the background


1st March 2011

Congratulations
Well done on giving such a fantastic account of all your adventures! Spent today in Largs with your Dad .I had baby James with me and we enjoyed our walk with your Dad and seeing Martin too.
2nd March 2011

Fantastic!
Thanks for sharing your experiences so vividly! And the pics are fantastic. Careful with the jungle juice, though!
14th March 2011

Newcomer
Hi Gordon - just received your site details from your Dad. You look as if you've landed on your feet and really enjoying yourself and, as you say, putting your Plumb Center skills to good use. I assume that, since you are teaching the locals to speak English (with a heavy Largs accent) there might be some wee Ecuadorians going home and asking their mothers for a piece n' jeelie! Can you give us a picture of you wearing that colourful jacket you bought? Carry on the good work and I look forward to your next blog (have you met any wee dollies yet?). Awrrabest - Jack
14th March 2011

A Jeelie piece!
Great to hear from you Jack! I'm toning down the accent don´t worry, though I've managed to throw in some broad Ayrshire speak now and again! Perhaps you can give me some tips on how to discipline the kids?? I'll get a picture up of the jacket in due course! Hope all is well back in the Midlands. Gordon

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb