Crazy Charge to Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
March 20th 2005
Published: March 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

19/3 - Yet another early morning stampede.... decided not to stay overnight in Lima and rebooked my flights. Arriving in Lima with 55 minutes to checkin and make an international flight to Quito. Would you like a definition of madness????

Checked in and managed to bump myself to an earlier flight at the departure gate.... but my luggage didnt change with me 😞. Got to Lima and was told to forget my luggage and get on the Quito flight or Id be left behind.

Ignored all advice, collected luggage with 15 minutes to spare, then ran like hell through the departure tax, customs and security sections to arrive at the plane in my socks, shoes in hand just as they were closing the door. Offering to spirit at Macchu obviously worked 😊

And next to me was a chap reading the 7 habits of effective people. Dont think I was high on his list of examples. Must admit the cheesey ham rolls on both flights were exceptional.

Feeling lucky, so dodged the $6 taxi fare and headed across the Amazonas Ave and bounced onto a bus for .25c instead. Met a Pakistani called Ali, had a few too many beeries at 2pm at the Coffee Tree in the Mariscal area and staggered to the nearest hostel.

The Mariscal is in the New Town and is full of tourists, hostels, cafes. Very nice area, found superb cheeseburgers for dinner, then hit No Bar for dancing and tequilas. Which is why I only made it out of bed at 1400 today because I felt like death.

Quito weather is like Melbourne, a little bit of everything. Headed to the Parque El Ejido, lovely family park full of markets, paintings, soccer, open air theatre and small children on mini-motorbikes and pedal toys.

Found the best after drinking skewer snack... banana, hot dog, greasy meat, coated with mayonnaise. Sooooo good.... heading back out into the rain for dinner.... people here are friendly, talk to anyone. Good city, looking forward to tomorrow!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb