Moving on to Ecuador: Surprising Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
July 27th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It took us quite some time to arrive in Quito, as we were duly warned that the night buses over the border are sketchy. Thus after ten hours to Ipiales, a night there, and rather complicated proceedings at the border (you have to get two stamps in two separate places, but they don't tell you this!) we got on a bus to Quito. We were not expecting to like it here as we had heard it just feels very very unsafe, but yet again as South America keeps doing, we were surprised.

Our first ten minutes there we made a rookie mistake, getting into a taxi without first bartering the price. In Colombia they mostly use meters, but here that is not common. So halfway from the bus station we realised that our taxi driver wanted US$12 for the trip, when we knew it shouldn't be more than 6! We managed to get him down to eight, with alot of huffing and puffing on his behalf and alot of restrained anger/polite pleading on ours. But we arrived, at the Secret Garden hostel, which is beautiful but a little more expensive than we expected! But we were just thrilled to arrive, and felt safe there, which we felt was important in notoriously dodgy Quito. Plus it was in the Old Town district as opposed to La Mariscal (typically the back packers area) which is cheaper but super super shady. We had received multiple warnings not to stay in La Mariscal area, so we followed that advice and were glad.

That night, after a few beverages on the terrace of our hostel (which has spectacular views of the city) we decided to venture into La Mariscal where all the bars are. Although dodgy, if you take a taxi to and from there it is fine, about US$3 each way, but you must only get into the taxis with orange number plates as they are the official ones.

A new law has just been passed where alcohol can only be served until midnight on weekdays and 2am on the weekends, which everyone is very upset about, but is probably good if it can help curb the crime.

We found a hilarious place with an extremely animated manager, and the terrace was "la playa", covered in warmed sand! We met some nice guys from the US who were working at a school camp and got to go to Galapagos Islands on it (so jealous!) There we drank delicious 3 for 1 passionfruit mojitos! The night was really fun, but on the weekdays the bars are fairly quiet and none of the dancing bars open, which is unfortunate because we wanted to practice the amazing salsa skills we picked up in Cali!

The town of Quito, despite all the horrible impressions we got beforehand, is actually stunning. The view of the old town, with the cathedrals, white colonial buildings and a snow capped volcano on the horizon is delectable!

We spent the day hunting down a cheap meal (old town is beautiful but expensive) and absorbing the sunshiney, happy and enchanting atmosphere. The giant cathedral that pokes its gothic head above the other buildings is well worth a visit. We have seen alot of churches on this trip, but this has glittering stained glass windows, an ornate carved roof and imposing Notre Dame-esque peaks and spires.

That night was Anna's last in SA, flying out at 6am the next day she had to leave our hostel at 3am. We tried valiantly, with the help of a very amiable taxi driver, to find somewhere with live music, but to no avail. So quite contentedly in the end, we retreated back to our hostel, drank red wine and played cards, classic Anna and Katy.

Saying goodbye to my sister and travel companion was difficult, a little emotional, and tiring (3am!). But I went back to sleep in my hostel, to try and get some rest to start my solo adventure in Ecuador!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb