Quiet Sunday in Quito and the most popular Gringo in town


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
October 5th 2008
Published: October 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday´s in Quito are quiet. They seem really quiet compared to the hustle bustle of the week. People sleep in, businesses close, and there are few cars. What made this Sunday special though is that the city closed down a couple of the main roads running through downtown and opened them up for bikers--not harley bikers, bicyclists. My biggest regret of the day was not bringing my camera, and not thinking to rent a bike. Tons and tons of people cruised through the colonial streets of Old Quito, some taking their time, others booking it...it was fun to see. The clean water company in Quito even came out and handed out free purified water in the Plaza Grande. Oh yes. And if anybody was wondering if I am the most popular gringo in town yet, I´m not even close. The most popular gringo is Colonel Sanders, by far. Apparently Quiteños really dig their chicken, and I guess they like to get it from the Colonel. There is one absolute monstrosity fairly close to el Cafecito, the play pit inside looks out onto the street from a big glass window that resembles a chicken bucket. Just thought I would let you know. I´ll be writing next probably from Baños.

RIP Chicago Cubs 2008

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb