Quito - More than 3 weeks...


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 25th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First things first. Darren thinks that I have become a soft traveller. First day here I was naive enough to let my bag sling around my hip on the trole car and low and behold a half hour later I realize our camera and my wallet is gone! Not a pleasant experience, and this after I had just read in the travel book that the trole system is dangerous and notorious for pick pocketing AND had just taken a self defense class. Now it's the big joke. Also, I have become soft because I cannot stand all the horrid smells. But hey, it's complain or throw up and it's easier to occupy my mind by complaining. LOL Anyway, let's get to the good stuff. We have been in Quito (a city of 1.4 million more or less, no one really knows) a little over 3 weeks now and it really is a city with a lot to offer. We love the cobblestone streets and heritage of the old town, and a little neighbourhood in the valley called Guapulo. Quito is a designated UNESCO world heritage site, and for good reason. We have done just about all you can do here including museums, Teleferico, which is a gondola system that takes you to the top of the Pichincha volcano, La Mitad Del Mundo (the centre of the world, equator), and on the weekends we have gone to Otavalo (just north of Quito, famous for the biggest market in South America; very cool!) and Banos which is well known for its thermal baths and waterfalls. Very pretty, but unfortunately we've hit the rainy season so weren't able to do all that we wanted to there. We were immersed in Spanish lessons for a full 3 weeks, which is why we have been here for so long, and are ready to explore more of the country (and are sick and tired of the rain!), so we are forgoing the 4th week of classes. We have enough to get around for now and will pick more up along the way I'm sure. We are off the jungle in a little over a day's time, which we are really looking forward to!!!! So next update will be more exciting. And then going to do some volunteer work after that. Working out the details right now. So we may be in a more homey environment for Christmas!

Quirks and Tidbits:
- PG13: It's not uncommon to fund roasted guinea pig on the menu. In the markets they are roasted whole.
- Ample opportunity to eat anytime of the day or night from a little old lady who fires up a BBQ or hot plate cooking god knows what... = necessary use of Immodium for several days
- Ample buses going anywhere at any second of the day = mass pollution
- Lush, green vegetation = torrential downpours every afternoon for 3 hours
- No place to do your own laundry, only lavenderias where they wash, dry and fold it for you. Sound like a luxury? Not when you come home with less than you brought in. Not to mention the harsh detergents.
- Pedestrians have 0 right of way. People get hit all the time, but we've managed to stay unharmed.
- People are either in a mad hurry or so slow they're practically moving backwards.
- You can't buy toilet paper that isn't scented.
- Police officers absolutely everywhere. Safety and security one would think, but they're just working very hard at preserving the crime and prostitution.

Things you can buy for $2 (which is the average hourly wage for most people here):
- 4 course set lunch
- 1 taxi within a reasonable distance or 8 bus tickets
- 1 organic chocolate bar
- 2 hours on the internet
- 2 DVS´s of films still in the cinemas (hmmmm...)
- admision to a museum
- 2 cervezas
- 1 pack of smokes and a pack of gum
- a haircut

So that´s our update. Both good and bad really. We absolutely love the restaurants here and have had everything from lebanese, chinese, japanese, mexican, italian, and ecuadorian (cuy a.ka. guinea pig)! Oh and we finally don´t need a map to get around, and have only one day to try and not look so much like a tourist! Go Riders!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Futbol Game - Ecuador vs. PeruFutbol Game - Ecuador vs. Peru
Futbol Game - Ecuador vs. Peru

Ecuador won 5 to 1!!! Crowd went wild!!!
View from TeleferiQoView from TeleferiQo
View from TeleferiQo

There´s a seat waiting for you on this mom! 13,000 ft above sea level.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb