they say cuy has a lot of protein


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 15th 2007
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, most people know that I will eat just about anything that is put in front of me and anything odd or unusual that I can find. Well, last weekend, I went with some other folks to a local market and then restaurant that serves only Cuy, which is Guinea Pig! It is an Ecuadorian specialty and eaten in a ton of little villages in Ecuador as well as big cities. It was actually pretty good! The downsides were that it was super salty and had a lot of fat on it. It was served with a small salad and a ton of potatoes.

We also went to the most amazing market that I have ever been to. You could seriously buy just about anything that you can think of. Bartering is an essential skill to have at these markets. There was more fruit, meat (tongues, stomach, liver, intestines, feet, legs, tails, heads, etc!) and fish out in the open air, animals, etc., than I have ever seen in one place.

Also, last weekend we went to this great little mountain town called Mindo. It is known for it´s butterflies and hummingbirds. We saw hundreds of different kinds of butterflies of all sorts of brilliant blues, yellows and reds. They were all so magical and beautiful. The town was about 2 and a half hours away by bus which is always an interesting experience. The buses run frequently and are generally pretty clean but they are comical to ride on because each individual driver sort of dictates the look and feel of the bus. They can decorate them in whatever way they want and play whatever music they want. One can only imagine the possibilities!

Will write more later. Off to a town called Otovalo this weekend. Otovalo is supposed to have this enormous market on the weekends with a ton of artisan goods sold by indigenous people.

Hope all is well with everyone. Thanks to so many of you for all of your emails. It is really nice to hear from home.

Love,
Cassandra




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Marisposas Galore!Marisposas Galore!
Marisposas Galore!

My friend Jane with an owl eye butterfly in Mindo
cutest kids evercutest kids ever
cutest kids ever

Snuck this photo of these beautiful little kids!
heads of all sortsheads of all sorts
heads of all sorts

just a normal sight at a local market
LunchLunch
Lunch

some Cuy before the grill
My Ecuadorian HouseMy Ecuadorian House
My Ecuadorian House

my window is the one in the front right
Basilica del Voto ChurchBasilica del Voto Church
Basilica del Voto Church

Tons of stained glass at this enormous church
QuitoQuito
Quito

a view from one of the towers of the Basilica Church


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb