I´m in Quito, Get Me Out Of Here - Screams Pauline!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
October 18th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leaving La Paz behind us we set off for Ecuador!

After a day of no food before today I was allowed to eat - Halleluhlah! Arriving at the airport at 7am the checkin was delayed for 45 mins while the flight crew finished their breakfasts - B%&$#"s - don´t they know i haven´t eaten for 36 hours!!

After checking in, it was to the cafe for a well earned breakkie of cold toast, cold croissant and watered down fruit juice - but it tasted sooooo good! The flight actually left early and so discussing how blessed we were we departed for Lima. On arriving at Lima with a few minutes to kill we wandered the airport discussing quite how much we dispised Lima and were looking forward to getting out of here again. Well, thats not entirely true. I think Pauline would have rather gone anywhere that Quito. After talking to a few fellow travellers and reading a bit online she has decided (without ever actually going) that Quito is the birth place of Lucifer himself! Lets just say a few stroies have shaken my lovely lady!

Anyway, preparing to board our flight we are greeted by a message saying the flight has been delayed and we will not be leaving Lima for another 5 hours!! B-e-a-utiful! Collecting our lunch vouchers we settled down for what was to be a very, very long afternoon. I tried to phone our hostel in Quito but was greeted by something that can only be described as a female Manuel!

With my pigeon spanish, and her lack of anything resembling english (or sommon sense) I almost managed to unbook our room and cancel our taxi from the airport!! Now, bear in ind i didn´t have the luxuary of time - we had one of these phone cards with a 2 min limit which basically was not enough. Initially she thought were trying to make a booking - ´no, no senor, full, full!´ After this i managed to explain we had a booking... ´ah, si si señor, como se llama?´ ´Me llamo Pauline Secular´ (the booking was in Paulines name).... ´no, no señor, no reservation´.... Lies I thought! Clearly we were getting no where and just to confirm this my time ran out and the phone rang dead - brilliant!

So not sure what i had just achieved we settled down to lunch, cards and chess to pass the next 5 hours.

Soon enough we were flying across the spectactular Andes and landed in Quito. Much to our relief both our bags turned up and there was a lovely lady waiting to collect us. The hostel (Villa-Nancy) is lovely. And the lovely lady I slated in earlier paragraphs is actually the cleaner / cook who cooks fantastic fried eggs and is just a lovely person! We have had many disjointed converstaions since, both nodding at each other with a complete lack of understanding no doubt!

Today we headed off into Quito, Pauline clenching my hand (and clenching elsewhere i´m sure!) to book up our Galapagos trip. To avoid any potential muggings Pauline had stuffed money in various places including either side of her bra! I had an emergency $5 in my sock that had to be taken out half way through the day as it was about to desintegrate through sweat! As I type, Pauline has just produced a credit card from the underside of her bra, forgetting it was there! We have booked ourselves on a 1st class boat for 8 days covering most of the Islands and neither of us can wait - it looks fantastic! It departs on Saturday and so we will be back with tails of giant turtles and other such Darwinian adventures!

Advertisement



19th October 2007

get me out of here
pauline im surprised you had room in your bra for any thing other than what nature gave you being your mothers daughter . i hope your bowel troubles are behind you get it .keep drinking bottled water you will be so thin before long keep your strength up .we are laughing so much at your comments we look forward to reading them .take care mum and dad .
23rd October 2007

are you still screaming pauline
am loving your photos.havnt heard of any demonic activities near to you so i guess youre ok!!!hows the tummy steve.take care.xx

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb