Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
August 18th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I spent an hour writing this blog entry last week and lost it at the last minute, needless to say I left in a huff and did not try for a second time. I have now calmed down enough to attempt the entry again.

On Saturday 18th at 7 am my friends and I headed out for a weekend of adventure in Mindo, Located about 2 and a half hours away from Quito into the Jungle. The scenery from the bus window was the most dramatic and beautiful of my trip yet. The views changed suddenly from the city I have grown used to seeing to dense tree covered cliffs and ridges. The bus journeys themselves are amazing and I always spend the numerous hours with my nose pressed up against the glass. On this particular journey whilst mid amazment I was ordered off the bus by my very organised friend in the middle of nowhere. We were promptly picked up by what qualifies as a taxi in the Jungle , basically a truck with a big open back for people to stand in / hang off / fall to their death from. I have no idea where this truck came from but my friend is 1) Scarily organised 2) speaks much much better spanish than me and is therefore generally better prepared to deal with any situation, life itself infact. What followed was a 30 minute, back breaking, brain shaking, bottom bruising ride into the trees, untill we arrived at the small town (a dirt track) of Mindo, I can confirm that if you hope to arrive anywhere looking half decent the jungle taxi may not be the way to go! My friend Konrad was straight on the case and had all our activities sorted in minutes.

First stop were the Rapids. We had, however managed to chose a weekend during which, the water levels in the local rivers were very low and as a result the rapids weren´t very rapid. We did get to swim in the water and risk mild hypothermia which was definitely a bonus! After much strategic undressing and dressing (no changing rooms in the jungle). We headed to the canopy rope slides. This is exactly as it sounds and consisted of wire ropes suspended above the canopy to which you are attached and basically shoved out to fly over the trees below. This was great fun but was possible not the most elegant activity in which I have been able to part take and there was a lot of legs flying all over the place and a number of Guides Cracking up with laughter ( happy to entertain!)

Our evening was as interesting as the day due to our 5 star hostel. We were treated to a wood cabin with (get this) four matresses, almost one each! We also had the luxury of no running water and a complete lack of electricity. The latter, I believe, was a specialised technique adapted by the establishment to avoid attracting the squillions of Mosiquos, that probably didn´t bite anybody anyone anyway as they were way to busy feasting on my beautiful ankles!!!

On Sunday morning I managed to hoble out of bed on my newly formed tree trunks and head with my friends to the rafting station from which we enjoyed a rather calm trip down the river on inflatable tyers. The afternoon was also a relaxing one, we visited the Mindo Butterfly farm. I still can´t get over how wonderful it is to see the humming birds. They appear everywear but particularly at the butterfly farm. Needless to say we were all shattered on sunday night when we arrived home.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

At the butterfly farmAt the butterfly farm
At the butterfly farm

Check out the Snakes Heads on the corners of its wings!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb