The Ecuator closes at 8!!!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mitad del mundoMitad del mundoMitad del mundo

center of the world
Yes thats right that line around our home planet we humbly call Earth has an opening and closing time! how strange!!

Well anyway here I am in Quito now! went to Mitad del Mundo (the middle of the world) otherwise known as the Ecuator!
spent a while amusing myself jumping between the hemispheres, at night you can actually see both sets of stars!! (northern and southern skys at once!)

Gravity works differently on the line itself so its possible to balance an egg on a nail, and ur alot weaker and weigh less!! all rather strange!
we saw the whole "water falling down a sink thing" they move it to the north and it spins one way, to the south and it spins the other, and on the line itself it goes straight down!!!

I went to the historic Ecuator and the "real" ecuator, basically in the 18th century, using complicated maths and running around the world with a big measuring tape (or something less silly and more realistic but more complicated) a bunch of french blokes discovered where the Ecuator was!! they drew a line, built a monument, and made a big deal of it.
view from the topview from the topview from the top

top of the monument

Then in 1997 using GPS they realised these old french blokes were off by about 200 meters so they drew a line where the ecuator really is and then found out all these weird facts about gravity!

Both are important, one coz its real and the other coz of its historic significance.

Spanish courses are going well, i understand waaaay more than i can speak so iv been told i can now speak "spanglish" (adam sandler would be proud) haha
Quito is a nice city, crazy weather (either hot and sunny or cold and rainy, no middle ground) busses are ridiculosly crowded, as are the trolleys (the metro they have here) yet the streets are suprisingly empty.

Like Lima people apparantly cant drive and have a love for beeping their horns.

thats about all for now, im in Quito for a while so will keep u updated!

adios!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the real ecuatorthe real ecuator
the real ecuator

not that silly fake french one with the big monument
chilling across the worldchilling across the world
chilling across the world

laying back, relaxing, in 2 hemispheres at once!
dart gundart gun
dart gun

do i look like tht lemur from madagascar here or wot?!?!?!
lineline
line

on the ecuator!!
its trueits true
its true

apparantly


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb