Mulinuco


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 5th 2006
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We traveled to Mulinuco (a hostal/resort south of Quito) to hike their trail of waterfalls with Joanna, Mariana, and the kids. We had to ride on a bus to Sangolqui "el parque tourista" (20 minutes from Quito), catch another bus that dropped us off on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere (another 30 minutes), then rode with about 15 other people in the back of a 2-wheel drive Datsun pickup (15 minutes). We were dropped off about a ten minute walk from the hostal/resort.

From the resort, we walked another 15 minutes to the trail head where we got an explanation of the hike from a park ranger in Spanish. In all, the hike took about 2 1/2 hours (with 2 kids and taking breaks). The walk was beautiful - it followed a small river upstream and past about 5 waterfalls (some more impressive than others). The end of the trail was the best - a giant 50 foot waterfall.

The ranger had told us that it is considered good for your health to walk behind the waterfall (you absorb the powerful energy of the water), so Tony stripped down and braved the cold and wet.

The ride home was nicer because there was a direct bus to Sangolqui and back to Quito. This was an amazing trip and highly recommend!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cave ToiletCave Toilet
Cave Toilet

The women's bathroom at the trailhead was dug into the side of a hill.
Men's RoomMen's Room
Men's Room

The Men's Room was a little better...
CowCow
Cow

There was a cow about five minutes past the trail head
Joanna & FamilyJoanna & Family
Joanna & Family

From left: Mariana, JeanPierre, Joanna, Maria Jose
Collecting WaterCollecting Water
Collecting Water

The water from this spring comes directly from Cotopaxi
First ViewFirst View
First View

First view of the large waterfall


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb