Relational Reflection


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
January 14th 2020
Published: January 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

I have noticed many similarities and differences between the Ecuadorian culture and my cultural background as a Carribean-american. In the Carribean, people are laid back and the concept of time is relative. Ecuadorians are similar in that they practice flexibility regarding punctuality. After lunch, our host family often takes naps and relax around the house most of the day. The mountain people of Ecuador (las chagras) and the mountain people in the carribean both cultivate agricultural and livestock, while also valuing quality of life rather than emphasizing staying busy. I have felt comfortable and familiar in practicing these value systems regarding time and energy. Moving at a slower pace is often regarded as lazy or unproductive in America, while it is perfectly normal in Ecuador and the carribean.

Unlike American culture, most of the families in Ecuador live together and share life in one house. My host Mama’s sisters live in one house and her nephew is an older, unmarried man who often comes to the house to eat what his mother has prepared. I was surprised to find so many older women and men living in their parent’s house as a social norm. This is because Ecuador is a collectivist culture, while America is an individualist culture. Americans often value independence and praise young adults for finding their own way. However, Ecuadorians value familial relationships and support from immediate and extended family. These values are also reflected in the raising and treatment of children. Yesterday, my host mama’s nieces came over and the women of the house were very nurturing. The whole family contributed to raising her two nieces. I have also seen strangers talking to children and commenting on their cuteness, which is not as common in the United States. Ecuadorian parents allow their children to walk around and roam the streets without much supervision. I was shocked to see kids running around with no adult in sight and was worried for their safety. However, Ecuadorians give their children more autonomy and know that strangers usually respect the safety of children. Although it is a big city, the people of Quito make sure harm does not come to the children and take part in letting the children be.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb