Quito and Otavalo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
July 8th 2016
Published: July 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hello hello,
This is my first time writing from South America so I might have to add photos later.
All is going well so far, spent Friday visiting the historical centre of Quito with one of those free guided tours. They showed us which were the best churches to visit and took us in front of the presidential building guarded by two 'Granada' soldiers(if I remember the name right), but they are not as disciplined as the British ones cause they moved their eyes.
I then went in La Compania church which is completely decorated in gold inside, 51kilos of gold so it has to be guarded with security cause people used to come in scrape the gold off it. Absolutely gorgeous but couldn't take photos in there sorry.
Finished the day with a little tour to the cable car that brings you to a beautiful view of the city, Quito is in the valley and extends 51kn north south so I couldn't see either end of the city at the horizon.

Saturday was a tour to Otavalo market in the city of Otavalo. It started with the animal market which was heartbreaking, cow attached to a rope, pig being hit on the bum cause they won't go where they are told, Guinea pigs and chicks squished in bags and cages and chickens piled up alive with feet attached, not pretty to see. The fruit market and the poncho market were much nicer to visit. Good thing I have no space in my bag, that way I didn't buy anything...yet. We then went to a little waterfall called Peguche ( which apparently means waterfall so it's the waterfall waterfall) and to the leather town of cotacachi but I learnt that the leather doesn't actually come form there. This town became the leather town cause it's close to Colombia for trading.

Here were my first two days 😊
Much love

Ps: more photos to come


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb