Quito – round 1


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
November 20th 2014
Published: December 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Quito cathedral's clock towers (they were due to be fixed that week)Quito cathedral's clock towers (they were due to be fixed that week)Quito cathedral's clock towers (they were due to be fixed that week)

The view from atop the cathedral that involved a terrifying climb up a ladder in the rain with little more than chicken wire to catch you (and not even that for the last few rungs!). This view it facing towards the Virgin of Quito statue on the hilltop that overlooks the city.
We opted to skip the 30+ hour bus ride from Bogota to Quito and splurge on the flight, arriving in the bustling city after dusk. Feeling a little apprehensive after hearing some horror stories in this city, we locked the doors of the taxi as we approached the old town where we’d be staying. Checking into Community Hostel, we immediately realised it would live up to its name – lovely staff, friendly travellers, comfortable living areas and communal meals.

A free walking tour is always a good option to orientate you in a new city so that’s exactly what we did. Despite some rain and a few places being closed, we were still introduced to Quito’s basilica (including a terrifying climb to the top that would not pass a single OHS guideline in Australia), main plazas, presidential palace, churches filled with gold altars, before culminating at the central market with delicious juices. That night we joined our fellow backpackers for Ladies Night at one of the local clubs which was to be our downfall. Gender separation until 10pm during which time ladies drink for free meant a fun night of dancing and attempting to chat with locals. Though we didn’t indulge late into the night, our heads the next day brutally informed us that alcohol and altitude are not conducive! So a slow day was had where we performed all those little admin tasks that seem to get in the way of having a good time: washing, researching, booking, repacking, etc. We decided we’d definitely visit the Amazon and Galapagos while in Ecuador and so we set out to explore our options for the amazing environments that are in this awesome country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb