Day Four: Good Friday Celebrations


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
April 6th 2012
Published: April 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jesus Cristo carrying his crossJesus Cristo carrying his crossJesus Cristo carrying his cross

Men carried huge crossed like this one and larger throughout the old town of Quito.
Good Friday celebrations in Quito are world famous and I was dead set to discover what the fuss was all about. Picture what the Klu Klux Klan wears, including the face coverings, now make that purple. This is what hundreds and I mean hundreds and hundreds of men and women donned on a sunny Quito day. I didn’t have a watch, but I’d guess that the procession lasted about two hours. Between walking up and down to the Bascillica and standing for two hours I was exhausted, but who can complain with these people dragging GIANT crosses and dressed in dark clothing from head to toe in the heat?

Check out the attached photos… hopefully I’ve managed to capture the magnitude of the event (and the crosses) better than my short description above.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Statue from the BasilicaStatue from the Basilica
Statue from the Basilica

The hooded figures carried this statue of Jesus carrying the cross from the Basilica and on the parade route of several miles.
Young girl with cross and thornsYoung girl with cross and thorns
Young girl with cross and thorns

What sins could a 12 year old to repent? But Ecuadoreans aren't one to exclude their youth from this graphic display.
Roman guardsRoman guards
Roman guards

The roman guards were few, but fun and it begs the question Mel Gibson... it the romans or the Jews kill Jesus. I'm guessing Mel just didn't want to mess with the Italians over that question.
Mini Roman Mini Roman
Mini Roman

Again... fun for all ages!
HUGE Crosses to BareHUGE Crosses to Bare
HUGE Crosses to Bare

Seriously check out the size of this thing... many Jesuses traded off with their masks counterparts or had a random... seen here... help them.
Another Jesus, Another CrossAnother Jesus, Another Cross
Another Jesus, Another Cross

Jesus... is that lipstick or blood from your thorns?
Jesus and FriendsJesus and Friends
Jesus and Friends

Again, I don't remember Jesus getting help from his friends back in the day.
And the band played onAnd the band played on
And the band played on

There were at least 3 bands spread throughout the 2 hour parade.
Purple KKKPurple KKK
Purple KKK

Those marches are marching have sins that they wish to absolve and start anew... free of the same sins and burdens.
Little JesusLittle Jesus
Little Jesus

So disturbing and cute at the same time!
ChainsChains
Chains

Some just carried logs across their shoulders and attached heavy chains to their ankles.
Muchas PersonasMuchas Personas
Muchas Personas

It's difficult to really show just how many people were participating and watching.
AltarsAltars
Altars

Three altars, two showing Jesus baring his cross and one of Mary were also carried through the streets.
Purple WomenPurple Women
Purple Women

Women also veiled themselves and processed at the end of the parade.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb