Quito and La Mitad del Mundo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So after some pretty horrific turbulance on both flights, Will and I arrived safely to the second highest airport in the world, Quito, standing at 2850m (about 9000ft). Quito is a big city of 1.2m people but no hustle and bustle. No-one seems to be in the least bit interested in us, and what a great feeling that is! We are not hassled to buy anything, no foot polishers chase us down the street and in fact no-one seems to look at us atall! So far all the food has been amazing. Fruit, fruit juice, coffee and croissants for breakfast and chicken soup with bits of bone marrow floating in it for lunch. It doesn´t sound appetizing but is probably the equivalent to one of our oxo cubes! So much nicer!

On Wednesday we got a bus to the equator and did our bit by standing in opposite hemispheres. It is marked by quite an impressive monument which you can climb the steps to the top. It is surrounded, as Quito is, by a magnificant landscape. High steep mountains that reach into the clouds followed by smaller hills that go as far as the eye can see.

I am having great fun speaking Spanish. We were given some loo roll at the hotel and I said´Mucho Gusto´ - ´Pleased to meet you´. Much to the amusment of Will..

Really, I love the language and have already picked up so much, it is so pleasing to talk and to have somene understand you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

EquatorEquator
Equator

Me standing in front of the Equator
From the monumentFrom the monument
From the monument

Looking into the distance.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb