Hopping between Hemispheres


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
August 5th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up later today, and enjoyed our last opportunity for eggs and passion fruit juice, come highly recommended! Then we went to the bus station with our friends, to make our way to visit the Mitad del Mundo, 22km north of Quito via Ophelia. We were able to hop back and forth between hemispheres! Quite touristy, but interesting, as we were able to learn about the various tribal groups inhabiting Latin America in the past and present, & also about the various cultures and ancient traditions. Great views from the top of museum, with views of the prosperous middle of the earth town and its many new housing developments. As it was Sunday, there was a live band playing in the square, consisting of colourfully dressed dancers in traditional costumes, and playing instruments whilst folk dancing. We decided to enjoy some ice creams whilst watching the band for a short while. The first time we have been able to consume ice cream for ages...as the freezer seemed to be working okay!

After we were hoping to visit the Solar Inti Nan museum, supposedly the site of the real equator due to a slight miscalculation. This museum contains lots of interactive displays, including one that makes you automatically lighter in weight - great news! However unfortunately this was closed, so we headed back on the bus to Quito and said our farewells to our friends.

We enjoyed our last meal at the hostel, the tables always decorated with fresh flowers and a pot of chalk for any artistic desires that you might suddenly desire. Then we caught the 5.30pm bus to Loja (a mere 15 hour journey), not too bad this time although slightly bumpy and windy. Lots of beautiful mountainous scenery, including our last views of Quito, the spectacular Andean valley & the huge statue of La Virgen de Quito on the top of the hill. We both found it a struggle to sleep though, but at least we did not have the strict head mistress on-board this time!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 19; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb