I have been to the middle of the world!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Curly whirly Curly whirly Curly whirly

Me and my complete lack of hair straightners...
WOO! It's very good to be so easily amused, like we were when we visited the middle of the world. Basically, its a very long line separating the northern and southern hemispheres...and you can stand with your legs on either side, and take pictures and do funny poses, ooo the excitement! I also got my passport stamped, with a stamp which says 'middle of the world!' hahah...well you do have to do the touristy things you know...
And then, disaster! We somehow discovered that this line claiming to be the middle of the world, was not actually the middle of the world!Our dreams were shattered into little pieces...apparently, this line was calculated by the incas a very very long tiome ago, and was just a bit wrong.
So to console ourselves, we went on a trip around the corner to the other outdoor museum thingy also claiming to have a line which was the middle of the world. By now, as you can imagine , I was just confused.The difference was, this line was found using 'modern gps techniques 7 years ago' (our guide said). So the pictures had to be taken again..blaah blaah blahh.
But this museum was a bit
Many drinksMany drinksMany drinks

Free drinks till 10..stock up! (I dont quite get this photo thing...so all my photos are going on this page!)
more intersting, and tried to prove a little more that they were the ritious middle of the world people....there was an egg that could actually balance on the head of a nail...(except i was being just a bit spazzy and couldnt do it when eveyone else could...grr) and a demonstration of water going straight down a plughole on the ecuator, where on either side it spiralled in opposite directions..oo the science it takes me back....heheh
Then we got to see a real indigineous house..this was very amusing for me, because there was also a german couple taking the tour with us, and we were sat inside this mudhut thing. The lady german was stroking the wall( do not ask, i didnt get it either) when the guide said "Ahh, yes, the walls of this hut keep the warm in beacuse it is made of natural materials like plants, and mud...and animal excrement" at which point the lady grimaced, swiftly removed her hand and wiped it on her husbands sleeve. heheh
We also got shown a shrunken head. ERRGG. For those of yu that do not know..( I didnt!) these are real humans heads. Basically, you cut off the head of
DogDogDog

The dog that lives on the roof next door...SO glad I got my rabies jab...
your enemy, take out all the insides, sew up the lips, boil it for a little while and wait for it to dry out and shrink. To a very small size...and there you have it, a little war trophy! Only thing is, our guide informed us, the last known shrunken head was made 25 years ago...25 years!!! Only a few years before i was born! mleerg, remind me not to make enemies here....
Well that was a very interesting and informative day for all.
This morning did not have the best of starts. Firstly, we woke up to discover we had no running water (mine and sophies plan not to wash our hair yesterday certainly backfired) which meant no showers, no flushing toilets, and so on...No coffee! arrg!
Then we were about to leave the house to do lots of very interesting and important things when the school rang asking why we werent there. Apparently they forgot to tell us they'd changed our lessons to mornings (NOOOOO) so we had to sprint it to school. Graaaa.
Then we saw our showers rolling down the street, which was then sprayed in our faces by oncoming traffic....
Fantastico.
Also I got homework...ARRRG!!!
LorenaLorenaLorena

She is the amazing crazy lady that we live with...and yes she is trying to open a bottle of rum with a large bread knife...

XX



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

My ViewMy View
My View

Isn't it beautiful!


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb