Paradise on Earth


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
January 16th 2006
Published: January 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The islandsThe islandsThe islands

Yep, it was like that
Where to start? We´ve just spent five days in paradise. A thousand km from the Ecuadorian coast are the Galapagos Islands, where Charles Darwin famously developed his theory of evolution. After hesitating a long time due to the very high price of the trip, we arrived at Balta airport on Thursday (one of the main islands) and quickly met up with the other passengers of the Cormorant, the boat on which we were to tour the islands. We visited around 7 or 8 destinations in total (over 4 different islands) and we managed to see most of the animal species. We saw hundreds of sea lions (or more exactly sea wolfs), possibly even more iguanas (land and marine) of all different colours.


The most peculiar species are found among the birds. The Tropic Birds constantly patrol the sky in search of fish to catch and their particularity lies with their red pouch that can be inflated to impress females!! Another bird that had a strange way of flirting is the Blue Footed Boobie who performs a hilarious dance during the mating season. Unfortunately we didn´t get to see this but we still found the birds funny.

Without any
The passengersThe passengersThe passengers

The 12 passengers and Cheche, our naturalist guide
doubt the most exciting part was the snorkeling outings. We were almost constantly swimming with hundreds of multicoloured fish as well as sea turtles , sting rays , eagle rays and loads of starfish. We even got to chase a group of three manta rays gliding through crystal clear water. The pinnacle of the trip must have been when we swam around the Devil's Crown (a submerged volcano), we found ourselves among a dozen of 6ft-long white-tip sharks!!! Another big attraction of the islands is the Hammerhead Shark, but unfortunately we didn't get to see one. We sailed with a crew of 5 Ecuadorians as well as 10 other tourists from various parts of the world. It was a wonderful experience and you'll see on the photos just how close you can get to the animals.

On the last day we got to see the last survivor of a species of giant turtles. He's over a hundred years old and spends most of the day lying in the same spot. Two females of a similar species have been introduced to him but for some reason he doesn't pay any interest to them ...

We re now back in Peru, more precisely in the coastal town of Chiclayo. We're looking for some more volunteer work. This time we're planning to stay at least 3 months, since we much prefer trying to settle down in a place and meet people rather than traveling as tourists.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tropic BirdTropic Bird
Tropic Bird

Nice and cosy in it´s nest
Frigate BirdFrigate Bird
Frigate Bird

They were always flying around the boat hoping to catch fish. Sometimes they chase other birds until they surrender their freshy caught prey!
The Turtle WispererThe Turtle Wisperer
The Turtle Wisperer

Cheche makes a giant turtle stand up
The not so good Turtle WispererThe not so good Turtle Wisperer
The not so good Turtle Wisperer

Well at least I tried
PellicanPellican
Pellican

In fact it´s Mr Pellican
"Sea wolf""Sea wolf"
"Sea wolf"

Sleeping in the sun
Land IguanaLand Iguana
Land Iguana

Another species
PenguinPenguin
Penguin

We didn´t see many of these
Pink FlamingosPink Flamingos
Pink Flamingos

Even the guide had never seen as many at the same time
Masked BoobeyMasked Boobey
Masked Boobey

Notice the black mask...
Sea turtleSea turtle
Sea turtle

In spanish its called the Galapagos. Hence the name of the islands.
AlbatrossAlbatross
Albatross

It wasn´t easy to get on photo


25th January 2006

Wow what a place, is it safe to stay there, and that equana is so strange
1st March 2006

belles photos mon graeme
T'es polymorphe comme mec, quand même.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb