Galapagos Islands - Day 2


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
October 21st 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Galapagos Day 2

Puerto Ayora to Isla Lobes, Isla San CristobalBahia Stephens (beach)

I managed to sleep soundly for about 3 hours, then we heard the anchor being raised, the engine of our 1st class yacht purrrrrring and soon enough the rough seas throwing us all over our cabin... It was going to be a long night! We were sailing from Santa Cruz Island to San Cristobal and would be sailing for 6 hours overnight - great.

The alarm went off at 6.15 as breakfast was served at 7 (I don´t think i´ve ever had breakfast at 7!!), and we were greeted by a veritable banquet... fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal, bacon, eggs, potatoe things, suasages and other bits and pieces. Somehow i managed to fit it all in and then we departed in the dingy for some snorkelling! Pauline was slightly aprehensive (to say the least) as there was no sandy beach to walk down to the waters edge, oh no, just the dingy in the middle of the sea with our guide telling us to go over the edge! Cheers! Me being me was keen as mustard, and once the flippers were on and the mask was adjusted i was over the edge. Almost immediately my body went into shock and it felt like i was being squeezed by an exceptionally large man round the chest. Pauline looked fearfully over at me and, looking for reassurance asked ´Is it ok?´, i could barely speak due to the freezing water i had just submerged myself in and managed to nod my head a squeak out ´its fine dear!´.... lies!

Once both in the water we were off and it was absolutely amazing! Sea lions were swimming along with us swimming right up to our faces to check us out and then disappearing through our legs. They are really inquisative and love to play with you. I could have stayed in there for hours but after 45 mins everyone was freezing so we had to get out. An unforgettable experience though!

After a 3 course lunch we were off for a walk on the Island to spy possible the funniest name bird i have ever seen. Although I am 27 years old i still find it slightly amusing they have birds called boobies. Blue footed boobies, red footed boobies and nazca boobies... highly amusing, and extremely immature! It still amazes me that the birds would just walk right up to you to cherck you out with no fear of you. In some cases they are literally walking on you without a care in the world. As there are no predators on the islands the virds are not scared of anything and it is just fantastic to see!

All in all it was a brilliant first full day in the Galapagos, and of course, dinner was 3 courses of fine cuisine on our 1st class Yacht!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb