Santa Cruz (The Return)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
October 17th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post


If anyone was wondering what happened to Auther Fonzerelli aka The Fonz, of Happy Days Fame, I can tell you he has moved himself to the Island of Isabella in the Galapagos and cunningly disguised himself as the local Parish Priest (also my hostel owner for the two weeks on Isabella). Our entry into Porta Vilamill in the back of Padre Angel Calderons pickup was like a rad carpet event. Everyone waving, calling his name and him responding with his million dollar smile and finger pistol point! From this point onwards we christened him "The Fonz" and when he dropped us back to the port on Tuesday the Fonzs fame didnt let him down and we left the island feeling like celebraties, everyone hugging us , waving , shouting (seriously!). Ok fair enough, there are only about 25 people on Isabella but I was still sad to leave.

Looking back its easy to spot the wonderful aspects of Isabella. Port Vilamill is the type of town with Sandy roads, where everyone says " good day" and "how are you?" as they walk past eachother. Where, even though there are really more than 25 people (roughly 2000) so many people know your name and use it. A Place where "siesta" is for 4 hours in the middle of the day and everything closes!Where none of the restaurants and bars have walls, they all open straight into the street and each other and a place where, in our favorite restaurant during our stay, every time you made an order the little guy behind the bar legged it over to the little corner shop and bought everything you had just asked for, then cooked it up.

When I first arrived in Santa Cruz I thought Porta Ayora was a very cute little port town but in comparison to Isabella it has transformed into a busteling metropolis. I will miss the absolute peace of Isabella, being able to walk the beach alone, leave my room unlocked and walk the streets in bare feet. But it is time to move onwards and upwards and being back in Santa Cruz is like a breath of fresh air. I can wait to do some shopping, Eat something other than chicken and rice and I have already been into the internet shop three times.

I have booked myself onto a cruise for 4 days next week. We spend 4 nights on a Catermaran visiting the south Islands , It should be a real adventure. But Hopefully Ill be back on with more news before then.

Speak to you all soon
p.s. really sorry for the spelling (as Lewis KINDLY pointed out) but I get very excited when I hit the internet and just cant wait to type all my news for you all (then dont have time to read over it all!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb