No Place Like it on Earth


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
July 27th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Galapagos islands, such a unique and diverse environment, with so many endemic species such as Marine Iguanas, that sit there drinking the salty sea water, then occasionally spitting it back out! There really is no place like it on earth, bizarre rocky outcrops, white sandy coves, unique adapted fearless wildlife, and crystal clear turquoise waters - a snorkelers/naturalists paradise.

We have been looking forward to this part of the trip for sometime, and it has lived up to our expectations, a major highlight, which we will recall great memories forever! We eventually arrived at Genovesa at 6am, following our long rough journey overnight, crossing the equator. We had a quick breakfast, then a dry landing at 7am, where we saw many Galapagos Sea Lions basking on the white sandy beach, and swimming in circles in the shallow turquoise waters, and pups suckling from their mothers.

We also saw Mocking birds consuming cacti flowers, Finches, Galapagos Doves, Frigate birds, one flying overhead with an inflated bright red pouch. We also observed a Sea Lion relaxing upside down in a rock pool. Nasca boobies and their extremely cute pure white fluffy babies dotted everywhere within the trees, Swallow-Tailed Gulls, Lava Herons, Marine Iguanas and Sally Light-foot crabs. Such diverse wildlife, that allowed us to get extremely close to them, including their offspring, no fear of our presence.

We did a quick tour of the island, across the sun-cracked lava rocks, then we returned to the beach to do some snorkelling. Accompanied by the playful Sea Lions as we swam - such a privilege! We soon learnt that we were there to entertain them, so we had to slap the water and swim in circles too! There was a large amount of tropical fish visible, including Sea Anemone, Angel fish and Reef Cornet fish. If only we were fish experts, at least we had an underwater camera to take along with us!

Genovesa (Tower Island) - tower referring to an admiral. The island is low, flat, isolated with a huge sunken crater. There are caldera walls that form cliffs of approximately 25m above sea level. This island is also known to have the largest colony of Red-Footed Boobies and the smallest Marine Iguanas on the archipelago.

After we returned to the boat for a delicious three course lunch. Then we went snorkelling in the deeper waters around the vessel. Nick was extremely lucky to come across a giant male sea turtle! Sadly by the time Ellie arrived it had disappeared.

In the afternoon, we went up Prince Phillips steps (naturally formed), where we saw Fur Sea Lions, this sub-species only present on this particular island in the Galapagos. We also observed Red Billed Tropic birds, Frigate birds with many babies in abundance, Masked Boobies, and even a Short-Eared Owl. There was lots of lava cacti scattered along the landscape, and playful Fur sea Lions swimming in the deep waters. The island was so peaceful, tranquil with stunning wildlife. Later we enjoyed yet another lovely meal, then sat on the top deck for a short while, a little cloudy so poor visibility tonight. Then we hit our beds ready for another early start!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb