Enchanted Isles


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Santiago Island
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 - We sailed to Santiago Island. Also known as James and San Salvador, it has numerous landing sites. Santiago was a favorite island for whalers and pirates.

Our first morning excursion was on James Bay. It was an easy walk. The sand was quite dark, almost black, but it was soft to walk on.

We saw Fur Sea Lions. The difference between Fur Sea Lions and Galapagos Sea Lions is the Fur Sea Lion is smaller in size, has thicker fur, and the ears are barely visible.

There were masses of Marine Iguanas, it was careful walking.

Perhaps, one of my favorite parts of Santiago Island was the water coming through the lava caves.

In the afternoon, we took a short sail to the island of Rabida. Rabida is located south of Santiago.

Our afternoon excursion began with a landing on a red lava beach. Surprisingly, it was pretty soft to walk on. Our short walk took us to a small saltwater lagoon where Pink Flamingoes, Bahama Pintail Ducks, and Common Stilts could be seen. We finished up the afternoon with snorkeling.

The snorkeling was fun! I had a close encounter with
More IslandsMore IslandsMore Islands

We saw these on the way to Santiago Island.
a Sea Lion, so close he could've kissed me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Islands 2Islands 2
Islands 2

We saw these on the way to Rabida.
Sea Lion Pups - Antics #4Sea Lion Pups - Antics #4
Sea Lion Pups - Antics #4

That was too funny!
Sea Lion Pups -Antics #5Sea Lion Pups -Antics #5
Sea Lion Pups -Antics #5

You're so busted! Wait til Mom finds out.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb