Galápagos!


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello from the Galápagos!

A beautiful place! The weather has been amazing! We heard it cleared up right when we got here...it was rainy and moist everyday until we arrived. Now it´s been sunny and warm!

The reserve is located about 45 minutes away from the main town, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, on San Cristobal Island. Everyone at the reserve has been very friendly, especially the volunteer coordinator (Cesar) who reminds us of one of our permaculture teachers Claude William Genest. We also met up with Phil, the Scottish man who was at La Hesperia who came here a week ago.

(Phil is a 40ish year old guy from Scotland. He works to live and has traveled all over the world. His main occupation at home, besides what ever makes money, is a career in his local recycling program.)

The work here is very similar to La Hesperia, with a cloud of bugs around your head, more thorns, less poisonous things and more time off. There is an amazing waterfall about 6 minutes hike downhill from the volunteer house. The showers are a hose in the ceiling, so the waterfall is the shower for me (zack). The volunteer house is made of cement and bamboo and the whole thing moves if you turn over in bed. Despite this, there is a spectacular view (flowering trees, banana trees, papaya trees and the pacific ocean) and it is very nice. The porches are lined with hammocks and the food is actually (usually) enjoyable. We´ve done some work in a local greenhouse that just started up and some more macheteing.

We are now in the ´Port´ for the weekend. We did some business in town and then enjoyed an afternoon on the beach with the sea lions and Ecuadorian rum. These creatures seem to do nothing but lay around, make awful (awesome) noises and play in the water. The water is cool, refreshing and blue (all terrific charateristics). We just looked away from the computer for three seconds and saw some Canadian friends from La Hesperia (Matt & Kelsey) walking by. They litterally just got off a ferry from Santa Cruz. So we are off to sample some more San Cristobalian rum drinks with Canadians, eh?

Advertisement



26th October 2009

HELLO
Emily and Zack! Waterfalls? banana trees? papaya trees? this is tooooo much for me. Thanks for another update. I will look foward to learning your machete techniques. Have a little rum for me.
27th October 2009

Greetings to the Galapagos
Thanks again for your informative blog. Sounds like you are having fum..more play than work..but I know you are also enthusiastically supporting the volunteer projects that you are serving there..Aren't you? Have you seen the tall ship from Master and Commander yet. How do you get back and forth from Puerto Baquerizo? We had a gtreat morning sail on Savor last Sunday, brisk breeze, bright sun, sailed across the bay to Baltimore light house (like sailing in Maine)and then around noon the breeze fell off and we had to motor back to Rock Hall... We decidied to leave the boat in the water a little longer hoping for some more cool, breezy sunny days. Hope you are being safe with that machete and in the water fall. Adios amigos, via con dios
28th October 2009

Wish I was there!
Having a rough day and work (too many things to get done in too little time), but your blog put a smile on my face. Thanks!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb