Awestruck in Galapagos


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Española Island
November 12th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Visiting Galapogos is a unique experience only enjoyed by a few. Tourism has grown steadily since 1970. Even so, only 160,000 visitors came to the islands in 2007. The best way to see the islands is aboard one of the few boats that offer guided tours. Our boat, Sagitta, was skippered by Lenin Cruz and our guide was Valentina, his sister. Both were born on the islands but Valentina went to Cuba to gain her degree in Biology before returning as a guide.

Life aboard Sagitta was very comfortable and the boat made a great platform from which to visit the volcanic islands that make up the archepelago. I can only imagine how Darwin must have felt when he visited the islands in 1834 during a round-the-world trip aboard the Beagle collecting data from which he drew the conclusions published in The Origins of Species of 1859.

We have experienced many magical moments like helping a newly hatched turtle struggling to find its way to the sea, swimming amongst so many adult sea turtles who completely ignored us and continued grazing on seaweed as we snorkelled between them; taking care not to tread on any of the hundreds of the marine iguanas sun-worshipping like loyal Incas on the lava rocks; finding penguins north of the equator; wandering through a field of grazing giant tortoises, admiring blue-footed boobies as they performed their mating dance; watching a blue heron trying to swallow a fish bigger than its own head; swimming with sea lions and listening to the racket made by hungry pups persuading mom to roll over so they could feed; and watching a furry sleeping pup born only 2-3 hours earlier.

Before breakfast on our last morning we sat in a lagoon amongst the mangroves. Our dinghy was above a huge school of fish. Like a scene from Hitchcock we were surrounded by diving birds but luckily we were not their target. The frigate birds were Harrier Jets, hovering then diving and hooking their breakfast fish. The pelicans were the B-52 bombers splatting into the sea and scooping their catch into their pouches. Flocks of blue-footed Boobies were the Spitfires turning as one, folding their wings and plunging in unison into the sea with barely a splash, only to bob up seconds later like champagne corks, their fish already swallowed. Three flaps of their wings as feet bounced off the surface of the sea and they were airborne and ready for their next synchronized assault. We could have watched them all day - a must for the Bucket List of all serious travellers.

Next stop Lima!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th November 2008

Great pictures!
So Keith, how long did it take you to convince the Captain of Sagitta to turn over the helm? I'm surprised that you didn't take over and set sail for NZ.
14th November 2008

Wow
Wow, looks/sounds fantastic!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb