Stop No.18


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Cuyabeno Reserve
April 30th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So on the way to the Tour Agents with Collie and Darlene we decided to look up trips into the jungle. We saw a trip to the Cuyobeno Reserve for 4nights/5days. It only cost 240 dollars which we thought was a bargain as it included meals, accommodation and your tours each day. Off we went paying for it and again we decided to change our mind and go to columbia on a flight. This was a flight from Quito to Medellion and stay for 2wks in Columbia and return to Lima and total cost was 109euro. First stop was the Amazon Jungle.
The trip to the jungle was 9hrs on a local bus that was roastin and the fact that we decided to drink on the way didnt help at all!! It was an overnight bus and when we got to a shothole of a town at 7am we had to get anotyher private bus that took 4hrs to the outskirts of the jungle. From there we had to pay the entrance fee and then get a canoe down stream on a canoe which decided to break down for 20mins!! Scary stuff seen as tho you are on ur own and all that is there is monkeys and caimans!!!
We finally got to the reserve and boy was it a surprise. The lodge was an stilts that the guide informed us it was because of the rising and lowering of the water levels and the fact that poisonous creatures such as snakes and tarantulas could be hiding in the rass and may decide to attack the customers. eeeeck!! The lodge had no electricity and only atticks for ceilings so bats and all other birds could be flying above your head while you sleep.
Day 1 was just for settling in and that evening meself and collie and our guide Nazar aka Rambo went into the jungle for a night walk!!! As you can see from the pics it was the most pleasant of places to be!!!!!!
Day 2 we were woken up 4 breakfast at 8am and wat we saw was a big cockroche on our mosquito net just lookin straight at us!! We had bfast and headed to a native patch where we got a chance to interact with the natives and they cooked us food made from Yuka plant which looked and tasted just like spuds!! War was weird is that she mashed it up and dried it til it looked like flour and then made it into a tortilla and decided to feed it to us wit a mixture of marmalade, tuna and mayonaise which actually tasted good!!! After the native we went animal watching and then went to see the Shayman!! This guy was a spiritual doctor who heals people under the influence of a halucinagenic drink!! The man is just out of it while trying to cure a guy of cancer or something!! how weird!! he tried to sell us some of his drink but we all decided not to cos of the stories Nazar told us!! ( Some person took the drink while in the lodge and freaked out cos he thought every1 was a spider and ended up in a hospital!!!) That night was a night walk in the jungle and Rambo decided to feed a massive spider a fish which he caught with his knife!! Unbelievable!!
Day 3 the four of us Darlene, Collie, sorcha and myself were sent out on the lake in a canoe by ourselves and told to go exploring. I was steerin the boat and boy was i good!! We had to weave in and out of trees and bushes and look out for snakes and caiman!!! That evening we went piranha fishing in which sorcha caught 1 and i caught 5 on the line but they all got away!!! Not a happy caper at all!!! We decided to taste the piranha that night which did taste really good but as you would imagine had a lot of bones and was not very big!!! That night we went to bed and had a visitor in our bathroom. It was a huge tree frog the size of your hand!!! Scary at first but he decided to visit a 2nd time d next night!!! We also had big tirantulas in our roof and poisonous snakes outside our door!!! We also had a few bat visitors that night which were flying in aroud our heads!!
Day 4 we awike to bat shit all over the ground!! Not nice at all!! We went for a 4hr hike in the jungle in which Rambo tried to feed a caiman from our boat!! The caiman came within 1m from the boat it was class!!! We seen plenty of animals in the jungle including the smallest monkey in the world!! Once again we went poranha fishing and seen a fresh water hump back pink dolphin!! That niht we watched the sunset from the lake and swam there also!! Also watched the lightning storm!
All in all was a great experience and easily the highlight of the trip so far!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 123, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb